Portal Proof of Concept

Started by cyphyr, March 03, 2020, 04:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I am actually confused. I tried a few attempts to try this but not even sure where to start. Can you share a simple breakdown?

Dune

Projection of a formerly rendered image or animation onto a card, I'd say. With a warped simple shape as projection area and opacity mask.

But it would be perfect if this could be done in one session, but I wouldn't know how to achieve that.

EDIT: ah, it's a Nuke composite, didn't read that part. It can be done in one go in TG, but I came across an issue where the image was projected the wrong way, though the projection camera was the same as the inital render was made from.

Sorry about hijacking your thread, Richard. I will stop after this.

WAS

Thanks Ulco! Makes much more sense now from a TG perspective. Was thinking of doing something with that palantir

cyphyr

Sorry, missed this.
Ulco is correct, this is all comped in NUKE. I did it partly as practice for NUKE actually.

Effectively three renders each with the same camera move. Fore ground layer, background (through the portal) layer and the portal itself that acts as a mask between the two.

Obviously you could have as many background (through the portal) layers as you like each with accompanying portals.

The most difficult part I guess is to create an interesting camera move in the first place.

I also wanted to find a way of getting light to shine through the portals and illuminate the foreground scene but at that stage I think the tricks are more comp based rather than Terragen based.

Portal_Mask.tgd

I have attached the portal file for reference but there is nothing fancy in therePortal_Mask.tgd
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Dune

Thanks Richard. Curious to see if you did the same as I did. I like the concept of these windows through time, so also thanks for sharing the idea.