Pixel plow not detecting GI cache

Started by james adamson, March 04, 2020, 03:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james adamson

Hi. I have uploaded my scene and assets to Pixel Plow with my cache files in the assets folder but the system does not seem to be detecting them. I have tested them my end and all seems to work.
Has anyone experienced this?
Cheers.
James.

cyphyr

It should be working but it may be better to let Pixel Plow do it's own GI_Calculations rather than uploading your own.
In all cases I would strongly recommend sending a low-res/low quality version of the animation up first just to check these kind of issues are not happening.

https://www.pixelplow.net/support/gi-global-illumination-handling-in-terragen/
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

james adamson

Hi Richard. Solved. The %04d was not in my read gi cache dialogue. Strange though when you write out Gi cach file it obviously writes them out correctly frame number wise but when you read them in in the application the docs say just select a file, any file, which I thought odd but thats what I did. It turns out that I had to manually put in the %04d into the box for Pixel Plow to be able to render
the scene. Which makes perfect sense but you would think the docs would tell you that. (maybe they do and I missed it. I am taking in a fair bit of information right now and my brain hurts.) At any rate I have a lot of frames and a lot of shots to get through so I am gonna be saving on any render cost area I can. And that means rendering gi caches files whilst eating my porridge!

james adamson

And on that note I did upload a cropped vesrsion of my animation. It needed to be full quality so I could check noise and cloud movement. I tested a few frames my end and I got 32 mins per frame. Put my deets into the estimator rounded up the per frame render time to 35 mins and got an estimate of 15.95 dollars for 160 frm. SWEET. I could deal with that for a test render.
I uploaded it  and each frame was taking around 66 mins and the estimate jumped up to 53 dollars. Now in the estimator I put my base clk speed but even with it running at max 4.5 ghz ( which it I have not seen it do.)  the estimator still only came out at just under 25 dollars. Pixel plow said they have no idea why that is and that I must have got my frame estimate wrong. (I did not I have been testing this stuff out for days.) They also told me I have the base clock speed of my own computer wrong. I did not. Its a 3ghz intel xeon w 1250b. Overall a pretty disappointing experience. I definitely get things wrong all the time and I am sure they must deal with people like me getting stuff wrong all the time and it must be frustrating, but I spent ages getting my numbers together and for the estimator to be so way off was dispiriting to say the least. 
Cheers. Sorry for the rant very late very unrewarding night of tech rubbish and no visuals to speak of!