Animating clouds and water

Started by ovaflo, November 23, 2007, 03:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ovaflo

Is it possible to be done without having to just put one seed at the first frame and a different seed at the last. Because that doesn't work for me, I get a different seed every frame. Anyone know?

The examples below show what I'm talking about. They're the first two frames of a test animation I did. You can see that the water changes seeds without any transition and you can see the clouds in the water reflection. There is probably a way and I just don't know about it.

old_blaggard

Try using a transform shader to vary the position, especially along the y-axis, to give you smooth waves.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Oshyan

The seed values are not continuous or adjacent so varying the seed will not create a smoth variation. You will have to animate other parameters, for example scale and position. The Transform shader is useful for this, as OB mentioned. It allows you to "transform" the noise function shader that provides the shape of clouds and water with the "translate" function. Translating in the x and z directions will move the shapes along the water or cloud plane (maintaining the same shapes and moving them horizontally across the surface) while translating along y will actually vary the shape of the texture in a smooth way. Translating along y moves the volumetric fractal shape through the plane of the water or cloud node vertically. Only a small portion of the virtually infinite fractal form is actually visualized by the cloud or water shaders, so by moving the procedural texture "through" the node's visualization plane you get smooth variation.

- Oshyan

ovaflo

Ok, I think I got it, thanks you two.