Be safe, everyone

Started by sboerner, March 16, 2020, 01:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sboerner

Quoteand the fact that some of us probably could had more time for TG  :)
Yup. :D

WAS

I think they are most certainly overreacting. It's SARs. They followed media hysteria before scientific fact. Enacting a State of Emergency and Martial Law is unacceptable when the goal is composure of the populace. SARS didn't cause store shelves to clear, governments did. And the damage to world economies is going to put us in a recession again real quick (already starting).

Nothing about this is maintaining order and infrastructure. 

The people in poverty and elderly effected makes it much worse than SARS.

As is we're supposedly free individuals where situations like these are only in the movies, where it's realized we technically aren't free people. We're sheep to be penned.

Dune

If governments would let this go uncontrolled, hospitals would flood with the sick, causing hospital workers to get sick too, resulting in much more deaths, and chaos. Some of our hospitals already reached their max and are transferring IC patients to other hospitals.

Ariel DK

Quote from: WAS on March 17, 2020, 12:04:18 PM...

The people in poverty and elderly effected makes it much worse than SARS.

As is we're supposedly free individuals where situations like these are only in the movies, where it's realized we technically aren't free people. We're sheep to be penned.
You don't need a pandemic to get that conclusion...  ;D
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

WAS

Quote from: Dune on March 18, 2020, 02:45:06 AMIf governments would let this go uncontrolled, hospitals would flood with the sick, causing hospital workers to get sick too, resulting in much more deaths, and chaos. Some of our hospitals already reached their max and are transferring IC patients to other hospitals.

??? Governments aren't doing anything but encouraging you to call a doctor if you have symptoms and be seen. So if anything they're adding to that stress. That's not what I'm talking about.

sboerner

Quote from: undefined??? Governments aren't doing anything but encouraging you to call a doctor if you have symptoms and be seen. So if anything they're adding to that stress. That's not what I'm talking about.
That's certainly not true for China, South Korea and other Asian countries, at least once they realized how contagious the virus is. Remember that we have an international community here and U.S. users are almost certainly in the minority. And now that the U.S. government has finally awakened to the crisis, this is becoming less true here with each passing day. Recommending that everyone isolate themselves and reduce social interactions, closing restaurants and other businesses, closing school districts, etc., is certainly *much* more than just "encouraging you to call a doctor." And all to the good if it slows the spread by even a fraction of a percent. Despite what many people in this country seem to think, government is not inherently evil.

At any rate, I'm very glad to have Terragen projects to work on as a distraction right now. Keeping me sane.

Dune

Right. Same here. Schools and restaurants/pubs closed, total lockdown is not far away. Our government is very much in control, closely working with scientists, but erratic and not very thoughtful behavior of people is throwing sand in the machinery (or however you'd call it), increasing the need for more strict measures.
I am very positive about (at least) our Dutch Government and institutions.
Hospital called today that we can't visit my father-in-law anymore, he's in isolation due to suspected corona. Better safe than sorry; a totally healthy 29 year old guy has collapsed due to corona, so I will take this seriously, knowing how sick I was 2 years back from a normal flue.

And yes, luckily, some of us can work from home and continue without problems.

Stay safe!

WAS

Confusing personal private sector action for government is negligent. The government has done no such things in the US. Even in China, hospitals were overrun and people were most certainly told to immediately call if they had symptoms. The reason people were locked up in their homes is a simple lack of freedoms and liberties and people being conditioned to except these norms. Here in the US the government would be sued based on empirical statutes. Here in the US the government has only placed sanctions on gatherings of more than 250 people, and closed international travel. That most certainly means restaurants, etc, can run. It's at their discretion to do otherwise. Encouraging isolation so you don't get infected is entirely irrelevant to seeking medical help when infected and a serious health risk to you and others.

We've had two cases in our park alone, and supposedly the widest number of cases in the country here in WA. It's pretty close to home.

And the rampant misinformation people are consuming is no better, like media reporting on it being airborne, when it most certainly isn't, and the source of the news has big bold red disclaimers to not report on it because it's not peer reviewed or citable. Or to use masks to prevent infection (rather than to prevent spread) because SARS and influenza are ocular tropic, the best route of infection is your unprotected eyes, not your nose or mouth.

bobbystahr

Quote from: René on March 17, 2020, 04:27:39 AMIt has been clear for years that this was going to happen one day. There are dozens of books and films on the subject, and now it has finally happened. It's probably also sheer luck that we were spared from a pandemic for a century, although a few times it was a close call. The last Ebola outbreak almost reached the Congolese metropolis of Goma. It's not that we weren't warned: in recent decades we've seen outbreaks of the birds flu, swine fever, mad cow disease, and whatnot. Despite all this, we were not really prepared.
On a positive note: perhaps the coronavirus is a last warning, and the current measures taken are a kind of rehearsal for when a really deadly virus emerges. Since the whole world population is now affected by this, it might also lead to the realization that we are all very dependent on each other.

In any case, I hope that everyone will get safe and sound through this ordeal.
I as well have sorta been expecting something like this for a while now...to all my friends and acquaintances here...Good Luck...we're gonna need some.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

It's crazy how Swine Flu spread like wildflower in 09, killed over 540k people (documented in developed countries), and was hardly a buzz like SARs, which by their own numbers, isn't as infectious or deadly in about 5 months. As is Influenza A alone has killed more by leaps and bounds in 2020 alone. The Swine Flu also caused a State of Emergency in the US but none of the problems we're seeing today, with far more deaths and prevalence. But not nearly the hysteria or misinformation spreading to the masses worldwide.  We even had a SARs outbreak in 2002-2003 hardly even reported on that killed over 7k. Seems this is all to change social structure. For example voting season around the world and rallying against officials/opponents in gathered crowds. xD

The relative composure of governments and the populace during the Swine Flu pandemic allowed economies to remain largely unaffected, and it also made rolling out vaccines when developed much easier.

N-drju

Kind of agree with the above. I get an impression that people around the world act as if this virus was a brain cancer airborne. It is not.

Of course, it doesn't mean that you are entitled to walk around and spread it like an irresponsible, little twat.

One thing that I regret is that all computer shops are down. My laptop is about two months overdue as far as cooling renewal and CPU fan are concerned... I'm afraid to use it for CG. A little personal drama and boredom factor. :(
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"