[4.4.62] Object Boundary Bump issue

Started by WAS, April 20, 2020, 08:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

In 4.4.62 there is a issue with the new bump system. Even at default bump of 0.01 (with almost no effect) there are weird anomalies along the boundary of the object. Added a image at disp 0.01 and 0.1.

I did generate these bumps in Materialize, but not sure how that would do this, it works correctly other than the border issue.

object is xfrog white fir, which I notice is rather polygony. I tried offset in both directions but doesn't seem to even be influencing it. Also tested default rendering mode with the provided height map and same issue.

WAS

So it's the Darken bump at terminator (even for default rendering?). Is this desired?

Matt

Can you send me this exact setup to add to my test suite?
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

OK, I've made some changes to improve this, and you'll see those in the next version. That's one more edge case in the bag, and it's passing all the other test cases. I've noticed that this particular model has some bad normals which create hard lines that I can't do anything to improve, but at least now "Darken bumps at terminator" setting won't make it any worse.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Yeah this model seems to have issues. Very polygony and hard. The root connections look particularly bad.

Thanks for looking into it. I thought the old models were just not working. My forest had strokes on all the trees in the light haha.