Mask by a colour

Started by N-drju, April 24, 2020, 10:46:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Too bad it wasn't the other way around and just a bug in RTP where it didn't work. Hopefully it's working better one day. Is it like that because of the computation needed isn't quick enough or something?

N-drju

Quote from: WAS on April 25, 2020, 07:00:03 PMThere are 6 populations, controls by 1 RGB map.

Hmm, let me pick your brain about that a little more.

If six populations are controlled by one shader... then how come their coverage area isn't exactly the same?

I understand you plug "green surface", "blue surface" outputs to the mask input, right? Not the "RGB mixer" itself. That would make sense.

Although you have to admit that the blue colour produces few instances due to its darkish hue.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

Quote from: N-drju on April 26, 2020, 03:41:21 AM
Quote from: WAS on April 25, 2020, 07:00:03 PMThere are 6 populations, controls by 1 RGB map.

Hmm, let me pick your brain about that a little more.

If six populations are controlled by one shader... then how come their coverage area isn't exactly the same?

I understand you plug "green surface", "blue surface" outputs to the mask input, right? Not the "RGB mixer" itself. That would make sense.

Although you have to admit that the blue colour produces few instances due to its darkish hue.

Maybe you should just try this out. You aren't understanding it correctly. It works. Blue produces a hard map at colour 1. It may look dark, but it's not. It's true blue at 1.

N-drju

As a matter of fact, I did try it out right after you posted it. Still, see no real merit in using it. If I don't, like you say, understand it then feel free to explain how I should.

There is no point complaining about Planetside's lack of documentation if explaining your own setup is too much of an effort. ::)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

It seems you just have a really hard time understanding functions. This isn't the first conversation that goes around and around in a circle. And this isn't something to debate, it's just how it works, TG or otherwise.

It doesn't seem like you tried it at all, because blue doesn't produce any "gray", it produces a solid white map fractal, because it's true blue. Seems you took a peek and formulated a opinion based in prejudice.

If you grab each channel, you have a solid map of that colour. If you combine all those maps back together as scalar, you have a solid map at 1.

I really suggest playing around with stuff. Experiment.  And remember, no one is telling you to use it. Lol