Canyon Strata Question or two - RESULTS

Started by littlecannon, January 01, 2007, 11:28:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlecannon

Hi All

At last... I think I'm beginning to get the hang of Strata, Canyons etc. With a little help from Oshyan, I've managed to produce this Canyon based on a ter file of Monument from Snoops Strata Tutorial for Terragen 0.9.

There's a few things left to sort out to my liking, but here's the files to play with if you want them. I haven't included the terrain file or strata colour map (see below). You can just Generate Terrain, link a new strata colour map and it still works beautifully.

You'll have to go to this link at Ashunder to get the Map and ter file from Snoops tutorial as I don't like to redistribute people's files. Just download the tutorial and re-link the map and terrain where needed:

http://www.ashundar.com/page.php?id=138

Enjoy, Simon. ;D

P.S. let me know what you think.
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...

MeltingIce

Awesome image, I've been meaning to do a canyon render like that.

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

crazymonkey

that strata looks simply stunning...excellent work.

FrankThomas

Blows my canyon out of the water :)

I'll have to try a bit harder next time heh

littlecannon

Thanks for your kind comments... I still feel I have a way to go yet before I get what I want... but it's getting there. ;D

MooseDog

thx for sharing!

here's what happens when you let stuff loose into the wild  ;D.  learned alot! (like i hope the specular channel can be rendered out separatley when tg2 is fully realized  ;D )

littlecannon

Cool... It's good to seee what people gleam from files shared... keep em comin'

Simon.

Costaud

I have dowloaded your .tgd file but I got this error message "Unable to open terrain file"  :(

Steve Pendleton

Quote from: Costaud on January 02, 2007, 01:18:15 PM
I have dowloaded your .tgd file but I got this error message "Unable to open terrain file"  :(

I too had this problem and solved it by opening the .tgd file in a text editor and changed the file paths for the mon1.ter and woodstrata.bmp files to match those on my machine then save and close. Opens in TG2 without a problem now.

littlecannon

Quote from: Steve Pendleton on January 02, 2007, 04:04:43 PM
Quote from: Costaud on January 02, 2007, 01:18:15 PM

I too had this problem and solved it by opening the .tgd file in a text editor and changed the file paths for the mon1.ter and woodstrata.bmp files to match those on my machine then save and close. Opens in TG2 without a problem now.

Yep... you can do that or you can go into the image map shader and click the little folder icon to re-link the Strata Colour map and then go to the Terrain Load Shader and re-link the terrain file.

Steve Pendleton

QuoteYep... you can do that or you can go into the image map shader and click the little folder icon to re-link the Strata Colour map and then go to the Terrain Load Shader and re-link the terrain file.

I couldn't do that as opening your downloaded .tgd file froze the application! I got 2 blank dialogue boxes with no OK buttons or anything else, one on top of the other. I could pick them up and move them around but nothing else. The only way out was to force quit the app. I suspected it might have something to do with the linked files so went looking into your .tgd with a text editor, altered the paths to suit and got it to work, must be a preview release issue, I use the Mac version of Terragen 2 by the way.

This doesn't change the fact that your efforts with this scene are stunning, well done.

Regards, Steve

littlecannon

Hi Steve
I have had this problem too... I think I just hit enter a couple of times and the blank dialogue boxes closed, then I did as I said in last post. Must be a bug at the moment.

Incognitas

Thank you for the .tdg file..I've been dissecting it and in the meantime hopefully learning something.I went so far as to add my own image and to add a twist and sheer shader.Got some interesting overhangs. :)

littlecannon

Quote from: Incognitas on January 11, 2007, 03:10:00 PM
Thank you for the .tdg file..I've been dissecting it and in the meantime hopefully learning something.I went so far as to add my own image and to add a twist and sheer shader.Got some interesting overhangs. :)

Thanks, those overhangs are looking great.

shn

Little Canon, would you attach the .ter file you used. I get an error message saying that the .ter file and the wood-strata files are missing. :/