first world

Started by EdgeFx1, April 28, 2020, 07:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

Cool artwork Edge. And a reminder that it is high time for me to sit down and make an artist page of my own. ::)

To be honest, I never use heightfields, as I consider them limiting. But they are quite easy - these are just fractals contracted to a certain area, that's all. You can then use operators to alter their look.

Heightfields do have some advantages though most notably the native erosion operator. Which is just impossible with procedural terrain.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

EdgeFx1

so this is the battle scene that i have so far, i put an obj of people so i have a reference point to fall back on, currently im trying to add texture to the sides of the crater wall, but for the life of me i cant figure out how to do it or even where to place it, i thought i was suppose to use a fractal warp on it to make it pop out a bit, but i dont seem to understand how to get it to stick onto the walls... suggestions? i added the people obj in the zip if that helps. you know what the worst part is, if i try to start over, i cant recall how i got to this point either :'( like im literally un able to retrace my steps and understand what my train of thought was. and then terratuts on youtube released a painted shader tut, an they used a surface shader, nd that totally threw me off.

Dune

I added some (simple and fast) stuff to get you going, and learn. Check out what each node does and how it's attached to eachother.

N-drju

From the first glance I had on your setup (and if I understand correctly that you want to warp the shape of the arena), you should plug #5 directly into #7. This will warp the mask which only then can be attached to a desired terrain. Currently, #7 warps a #6 terrain which has an unaffected mask attached to it.

And careful there - the values are humongous once again. ;) With such a powerful fractal warp, you'll see your arena shape sail away.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

Yes, that's why he probably set it to final position, to keep it steady. But that might also be a lucky accident ;)

EdgeFx1

Quote from: N-drju on May 14, 2020, 02:36:42 AMFrom the first glance I had on your setup (and if I understand correctly that you want to warp the shape of the arena), you should plug #5 directly into #7. This will warp the mask which only then can be attached to a desired terrain. Currently, #7 warps a #6 terrain which has an unaffected mask attached to it.

And careful there - the values are humongous once again. ;) With such a powerful fractal warp, you'll see your arena shape sail away.
so my fractal warp is over sized?, i will take a look at that  then, what i was trying to do was just add some texture onto the walls cuz it looked way to smooth, but then when i edited the "3 modification to inside sink hole shape" it literally changed the shape from a circle shape to some weird non circular shape, so then i disconnected that first group and turns out it did nothing to the environment so thats when i realized i might not have needed it, i thought that "the sink hole shape and terrain of the planet surface" group controlled the inside of the sink hole but i guess not...,  so my current project goal is to just add texture to the inside of the walls to avoid those extreme shear lines, and to make it interesting. i think in the end result ill throw a slight bokeh over it, but lemme not get ahead of myself here lol

Quote from: Dune on May 14, 2020, 02:38:06 AMYes, that's why he probably set it to final position, to keep it steady. But that might also be a lucky accident ;)
yes i do believe that was a lucky accident of me clicking things on and off see what it does lol, and the question mark that brings you to documentation online ot read is just a blank

~~~~~~~~

on a side note it would be nice to have a shortcut that turns off all selected nodes, that way one doesn't have to shut them off one by one, and as for documentation it would be awesome if they did more of those little movie gifs that shows the changes in the nodes, also in case anyone is wondering why im naming the nodes the way i am, its to help  me organize myself, they are reminding me, sequentially, what i did in what order, also to exactly describe what i think it is doing lol :P

EdgeFx1

Quote from: N-drju on May 12, 2020, 08:53:06 AMCool artwork Edge. And a reminder that it is high time for me to sit down and make an artist page of my own. ::)

To be honest, I never use heightfields, as I consider them limiting. But they are quite easy - these are just fractals contracted to a certain area, that's all. You can then use operators to alter their look.

Heightfields do have some advantages though most notably the native erosion operator. Which is just impossible with procedural terrain.
if you have any work you want to share please do so, i love seeing what others create be it terragen or anything really, art shouldn't go to waste by not being seen by everyone lol, also if anyone needs Photoshop help that the billions of tutorials on youtube cant help you solve please feel free to ask too, since thats the only area i can my offer my skills in  8)

EdgeFx1

@Dune  just so im understanding this correctly, the group in red creates the multiple rock layers inside the sink hole, it covers the ground and "some" parts of the walls?  and the color adjust shaders is used along "multiply compliment scalar"  shader to effectively wipe out the rock texture on the ground by turning the black and white patterns that dictates the nature of the rock layers, into pure white so there is no differentiation in shade, therefore making it flat? and because of the edge profile in "1 sinkhole shape" the walls are left with the rock textures that were created by the group in red?

Dune

That group is masked by multiply complement scaler, which masks (white) the sides of the walls. So it textures the walls only. The later group of stones (besides the note, after the disabled compute terrain) is doing the ground inside the walled circle, and is masked by the minimum amount of white of your first SSS circle.