RESTRICTIONS ON VOLUMETRIC ASSETS

Started by D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet), April 29, 2020, 04:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

To be honest, I find your posts puzzling at best. You seem to be extremely critical of this software... Yet, advertising lots of TG solutions and links relating to this 'ere program. I find it deeply conflicting. If like you say, there are major flaws in this program, why not save your health and move to a competition which does everything better?

As far as sales terms are concerned... This is Matt's call and the best you (we) can do is to respect his own decision.

This is exactly what copyright has to offer. While selling my art, I could as well put up terms that it can only be viewed by Yorkshire Terriers and has to be hung exactly 234cm above the floor. True - I wouldn't get to many sales. But it is still my right to name such terms if I want to (though I don't ;)).
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: WAS on May 03, 2020, 01:58:51 PMSpeaking of that cause Oshyan just tossed a key at me, I never even actually agreed to any agreements or were shown them before receiving a license.

Every time you install TG you explicitly agree with the EULA.

pokoy

Matt, another case for a second thought would be the 180° turntable restriction - lift it, please.

Environment artists are totally in need to include these in their reels. If someone is about to be hired because of his TG experience you really shouldn't penalize him for the money and time he spent to learn TG. He absolutely should be able to render out 360° turntables of the stuff he created and to post it on the internet, restricting this is nonsense and hurts your loyal users.

Even outside of that I absolutely oppose the restriction. If there's anything that can help the sales of TG, it's not getting restrictive on the content it can produce, it should first and foremost be the competitive edge over other apps. The new restriction hurts more than it helps.

cyphyr

Quote from: pokoy on May 04, 2020, 06:49:33 AMMatt, another case for a second thought would be the 180° turntable restriction - lift it, please.

Environment artists are totally in need to include these in their reels. If someone is about to be hired because of his TG experience you really shouldn't penalize him for the money and time he spent to learn TG. He absolutely should be able to render out 360° turntables of the stuff he created and to post it on the internet, restricting this is nonsense and hurts your loyal users.

Even outside of that I absolutely oppose the restriction. If there's anything that can help the sales of TG, it's not getting restrictive on the content it can produce, it should first and foremost be the competitive edge over other apps. The new restriction hurts more than it helps.
... however I have never had a single environment turntable in any of my reels or job applications.
I actually think that a cloud turntable only really shows of ones ability to make a turntable rather than the cloud which in nearly every context would only ever be viewed from one side :)
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

N-drju

Quote from: pokoy on May 04, 2020, 06:49:33 AMHe absolutely should be able to render out 360° turntables of the stuff he created and to post it on the internet, restricting this is nonsense and hurts your loyal users.

With that, I do agree.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

pokoy

Quote from: cyphyr on May 04, 2020, 07:08:04 AM
Quote from: pokoy on May 04, 2020, 06:49:33 AMMatt, another case for a second thought would be the 180° turntable restriction - lift it, please.

... however I have never had a single environment turntable in any of my reels or job applications.
I actually think that a cloud turntable only really shows of ones ability to make a turntable rather than the cloud which in nearly every context would only ever be viewed from one side :)

Hmm then why Matt introduced this restriction in the first place? You personally may not be affected but it doesn't mean others aren't or that the restriction makes sense that way.

I fear introducing restrictions like these will hurt the user <> developer relation more than anything else, much like the outcry when Plant Factory restricted the content created in PF to not be sold. The consequence was that people chose other apps over PF and, suddenly, not having any restriction in place was their competitive edge. The same will happen in this case, especially since other tools offer some more accessible options to create hero clouds. All it needs is another tool or plugin to emerge and TG may lose customers instead of growing the user base.

I personally will probably never be affected by this. But with these restriction in place I will make sure that, should I ever need clouds as VDBs which may end up on someone else's HD without my control, TG won't be a part of the VDB pipeline. Then, looking at my long-time relationship as a customer of planetside, will I be happy? Take a guess...

N-drju

Quote from: pokoy on May 04, 2020, 07:31:01 AMI personally will probably never be affected by this. But with these restriction in place I will make sure that, should I ever need clouds as VDBs which may end up on someone else's HD without my control, TG won't be a part of the VDB pipeline.

I really doubt that you could be charged of anything on these grounds - you'd have no control over what someone is doing with your TG-generated assets. Just like with my picture example. But yes, it could quickly become a problem to well-meaning artists who just provide final "products".

I do see a point as far as VDB export (and sales thereof) are concerned, but it's a pity that turntables are also included...

WAS

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on May 04, 2020, 06:24:54 AM
Quote from: WAS on May 03, 2020, 01:58:51 PMSpeaking of that cause Oshyan just tossed a key at me, I never even actually agreed to any agreements or were shown them before receiving a license.

Every time you install TG you explicitly agree with the EULA.

Different Agreement, Martin. It doesn't even contain the VDB segment, and you can't legally have two contradicting agreements, to begin with. It creates a nullified agreement due to liabilities.

And again, all contracted work is technical presale of services/assets. It's not you working for a company, etc, and you can't extended agreements on them.

---

And honestly how is this going to help Terragen except inhibit sales? Also, how is it going to protect Terragen when exported VDBs are as such, an exported VDB. Any VDB can be extensively augmented until it doesn't resemble the original, and used for thousands of iterations, and you'll never know. And as far as VDBs out there that you can't cover with a new agreement, how does it help? They can all be used for almost limitless variations and tweaking.

---

Further more applying restrictions to an open format which doesn't have any, anywhere else, is really shady. Just cause TG exports it? What does TG do in the OpenVDB that warrants any uniqueness? Especially using basic perlin, which is available in other software? Heck if no one is using easy clouds, you could very well mistake perlin from other software as TG generated and opena  can of worms. TG Easy Clouds are easy to spot, but basic perlin noises in VDB format?

---

Seems the damage has been done, and trying to attack consumers over it is wrong. The mistake was made to not restrict them, and it shouldn't be changed because you're hurting. That's just more fuel for the TG fire.

Matt

Hi everyone. I am taking all of this feedback into consideration.

The cloud turntable restriction was a step too far, and I've decided to remove it. Turntables will be allowed.

The cloud turntable restriction was added because it was considered a big loophole with current and next-generation AIs. But it would cause a lot of damage so I will remove that in the next update to the license agreement.

Other definitions/terms may change as I consider feedback and weigh it up with our plans for the future.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

Quote from: WAS on May 04, 2020, 02:06:24 PMDifferent Agreement, Martin. It doesn't even contain the VDB segment

The EULA is the same as the agreement you see in the installer. They were updated on April 28th. The April 28th agreement is in the 4.4.65 installer.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on May 05, 2020, 01:39:03 AM
Quote from: WAS on May 04, 2020, 02:06:24 PMDifferent Agreement, Martin. It doesn't even contain the VDB segment

The EULA is the same as the agreement you see in the installer. They were updated on April 28th. The April 28th agreement is in the 4.4.65 installer.

Oh, that would be why. I have 44620. Huh I didn't get a update notification again. Weird.

bobbystahr

************************************************************************************************

I totally agree with this post.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist