cave 360

Started by inkydigit, November 19, 2007, 11:16:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Cyber-Angel

There are some mighty sharp stalactites in that cave I don't think you'd want to be standing under one if it fell...Lets just say it would be messy, but then again thats an understatement.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

Will

Any of you see the Planet Earth: Caves episode?
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Cyber-Angel

I have, it was on here in Australia last year and confirmed some thing that I have known for years, and that is how caves are vary fragile: sensitive environments that are so easily damaged and destroyed that have unique eco-systems that are not fully understood and may contain things that would be of great benefit to mankind .

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

Will

yes, they are very specialized ecosystems.

rcallicotte

I want to see Planet Earth.  Where has time gone?

Will

rcallicotte

That and learning more IT stuff.  Does it ever end?    :o

Will

at the rates its evolving? no...no it won't....

rcallicotte

Hope you don't mind this edging away from the title, inkydigit.  The cave looks very cool.

I don't mind learning and actually enjoy it.  What I think is weird, even after years of this, is the idea that I'm skilled in certain IT functions and yet the need to change this skill along with its changing levels of what matters never ends.  A plumber or an electrician might need to learn a few things around their skills, but their basic skillset doesn't change.  This is the same for anyone who is paid for what they can do in a specialized field.  Not so in IT.

What good is some of what we learn in IT, though?  A good example is this cave.  It's cool and learning to create 360 pictures is cool and these sorts of pictures even have a limited use even in advertising.  But, IT is full of these sorts of geeky useles things to know and the technology behind it will only keep changing. 

It's as if the rate of knowledge we have has far outstripped our ability to utilize it properly.  Quality doesn't matter as much as it did 30 years ago.  What matters is that the new product (refrigerator, oven, PC, car, flashlight) uses new technology.  Who cares if it ends up being in a landfill in two years? 

Will

thus is the way of the world my friends, as a teenager I can tell you the difference between my world and my parents world is becoming greater and greater.

rcallicotte

Will, it's more than a generation gap.  It's a major problem.  If all we care about is learning new things and getting the next gizmo, there won't be time to think.  That is a major problem today - not that people are dumb, necessarily, but that knowledge doesn't equal understanding.  It probably doesn't register, but Star Trek won't happen when all we have is technology.  We need more than the new discoveries.  We need the wisdom to utilize what we have...not get more knowledge.

This is one of those times when saying "I told you so" in years to come is meaningless.  If we continue at this rate, the world will be filled with people running around crazy with no sense at all.  Literally.  It's time to pause and reflect.

Will

Aye this is true, hopefully people will begin to look to the past to see its successes and failures and use that to its advantage.