TGD Defaultness Editor

Started by WAS, May 08, 2020, 11:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Quote from: KyL on May 26, 2020, 03:20:49 PMProbably a project file light source. This would not create lights, but rather mass modify lights parameters in a more customizable way that with a default text editor.

The idea I had in mind would be to be able to vary the intensity and color of all lights in a project. For example say you want the intensity to be 100 with a 10% random, and all the lights get a value between 90 and 110.
I imagine the same could be done for colors by giving a specific rgb value then vary the Hue by the desired percentage as well.

I think this is doable. For now I have made a basic light source editor (it's under the Terragen Tools section). What I'll implement is another field after the intensity field, which will be a variance percentage. it will than generate a random variance based on that cap, and apply it to the base value you input (upon downloading).

KyL

Sounds great! Thanks for this, it will be very useful.

WAS

Quote from: KyL on May 26, 2020, 06:13:11 PMSounds great! Thanks for this, it will be very useful.

One thing is, I assume you want to edit importer objects default shader luminosities? This may prove to be a challenge. It seems this setting is just a vector representative of scalar values translated to RGB. For example a red luminosity of 5 is 5 0 0. Trying to figure out how this is handled to even apply any variance. Obviously a normal red RGB value is 255, 0, 0

@Matt could you shed some light on the luminosity value? Never mind, I think I figured out a method of conversion.

KyL

Ah no, I am talking about actual lights (light source or spotlights)

In that case the parameters are mainly color (r,g,b) and intensity!

WAS

Quote from: KyL on May 26, 2020, 08:34:42 PMAh no, I am talking about actual lights (light source or spotlights)

In that case the parameters are mainly color (r,g,b) and intensity!

Yes, definitely much easier. But I think converting the vector values in the XMLs is just a matter of value / 255 (to get a RGB range). Since 5 0 0 represents 1,275 0 0 in RGB (255 * 5 for Red Channel)

KyL

That's what I thought. Adjusting luminosity would be nice too of course.

WAS

Quote from: KyL on May 26, 2020, 08:41:17 PMThat's what I thought. Adjusting luminosity would be nice too of course.

Can you test this out, KyL? I did some testing, but needs more. It won't apply any variance and act as an editor only if you don't "Apply" the variance to a shader set. It should only read default shaders with luminosity.

https://nwdastore.com/terragen-tools/lightsource/

KyL

Thanks. I uploaded a scene file containing a fair amount of spotlights, however I couldn't find how to "Apply" the variance? It actually lists all lights in the scene correctly though.

WAS

Quote from: KyL on May 27, 2020, 04:16:31 PMThanks. I uploaded a scene file containing a fair amount of spotlights, however I couldn't find how to "Apply" the variance? It actually lists all lights in the scene correctly though.

It's the checkboxes under the variance settings.

KyL

It didn't work then. When I opened the downloaded file the values were exactly the same as the original file :/

Here is the tgd I tried:

WAS

Bum bum bum. I'll check it out. It seemed to work for my lightsources and spotlights.

WAS

Quote from: KyL on May 27, 2020, 04:25:38 PMIt didn't work then. When I opened the downloaded file the values were exactly the same as the original file :/

Here is the tgd I tried:

Woops. So I changed the logic of one of my functions to reflect a change elsewhere, but forgot to flip the condition in the code, so what should have been a "true" was being sent a "false". Give it a go now.

Example of your file with 10% variation to everything: Screenshot_187.jpg

KyL

Awesome! It works perfectly.

Thanks so much for this, it will be put to good use ;D

WAS

Recently discovered a issue with DOM, @blinkfrog 's Classic Erosoin contains "::" in the shader name, which is used as the tag name in XML, which is a invalid QNAME and will break the parser. Qnames use the colon to denote tag meta data, and a double colon trips this functionality, as do spaces after the colon.  So unfortunately projects with these shaders will either fail partially or completely upon loading the project.