strange shadow on cloud

Started by mhaze, May 08, 2020, 05:47:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

Theres's a strange shadow on the cloud has anyone any ideas what may be causing it.

N-drju

Hard to tell without a .tgd. Might be anything, including another cloud getting in the way, atmosphere settings, or even light bounced of an object (happened to me).
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

mhaze

Cirrus is casting a shadow on a easy cloud.Any ideas how I could stop it?

Tangled-Universe

Supposing you are not using crazy voxel counts I'd suggest you may try increasing "Cloud GI max ray depth" in the GI settings menu's last tab "GI in clouds".
Default is 2, first try 3 and then 4, but no more should be needed. If it's the issue, which I'm not 100% sure.
Btw, this setting sets the number of light bounces between the cloud layers, so that the lighting of a cloud layer can affect other cloud layers.
I suspect there's an inaccuracy somehow and is why I made this suggestion.

mhaze

Thanks I'll try that when this render finishes.

N-drju

By the way - what's the cirrus layer's density, depth?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

mhaze

pokoy

Are you using soft shadows for the sun? If not it might be worth trying.

Dune

Soft shadows don't work on clouds, afaik. But maybe setting the cirrus to 3D helps.

mhaze

Thanks all - I haven't solved the problem but I've found an acceptable alternative. I will try out some of your suggestions when I have more time.

N-drju

Sorry to bother you now that you have found an alternative, but cloud density at 10 is a very high value and a really dark shadow will be cast on any surface below such a cloud. Go ahead and reduce it if you feel like it. I rarely even go above 1 as far as cloud densities go.

Dune

Perhaps Mick answered to your second option; depth. Cirrus default depth is 10m. I don't suppose he upped density to 10.

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on May 11, 2020, 07:41:01 AMPerhaps Mick answered to your second option; depth. Cirrus default depth is 10m. I don't suppose he upped density to 10.

Ahhh, of course... Sorry.