POP go the trees - Population behaving funny

Started by KlausK, May 27, 2020, 01:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KlausK

Well,
this looks kinda nice and the tree objects seem to enjoy themselves but it`s not really what I want.
The simplest terrain you can imagine.
Fractal terrain with a Simple Shape Shader and a Fractal Warp before the Compute Terrain.
Anchor is the Planet and Sit on Terrain --> Compute Terrain.
Then into the Base Colours and off you go into the Planet. Lean to Terrain/Object Normal is turned on and played with. Sigh...

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

WAS

Happens all the time for me where pops aren't sitting on terrains anymore when even slightly complex. Always have to use a secondary compute normal. Always get hovering pops now without computing with normal or terrain after shaders. It's weird.

KlausK

Hm,
I tried another Compute Terrain dangling loose from the Fractal Terrain, the Fractal Warp and the Base Colours
 - didn`t make a difference as far as I can tell.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

WAS

Huh that is strange. What's the node tree look like by chance? Can you share a tgd to try with another pop?

Matt

Has the object's position moved from 0,0,0? If the object's position is 0,0,0 does it sit at the origin when you load it on its own?
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

Never encountered this interesting behavior, unless, indeed, base object isn't at 0/0/0 originally.

WAS

That's a good point about the center of the object. Maybe check it out in Poseray.

KlausK

Thanks Matt, that was the problem, indeed.

The tree object was set up in a row with similar trees with different polygon count.
I must have copied it from there without properly resetting it to the origin of the workspace.
And now, much later, I only quickly looked at the numbers - which were 0,0,0 for the pivot of the tree and did not notice the polygons were way of.
Not centered on the pivot. Stupid mistake actually...

Ok, everything back to normal then...even though the flying trees looked quite nice ;)
I must keep that "trick" in mind.

Thanks everyone for their thoughts.

CHeers, Klaus

ps: the "lean" factor settings are still quite extrem, that`s why the fat guy is tilted all over the place so much

WAS

I always find the lean settings a little wonky to think about and deal with. The fat guy pop is also horrifying, thanks for that. :P

KlausK

Haha, sorry, didn`t wanna freak anybody out with that ;)

CHeers, Klaus