WIP - First Arrival to Alpha Cassiopeiae

Started by N-drju, May 12, 2020, 02:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

I agree with you Matt.

I will be grateful if anyone commenting here sticks to the subject - which is my WIP. If anyone wishes to argue, please do so elsewhere...
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

N-drju

Might seem like a small update, but it was quite an effort for me...

Dissatisfied with the previous scout craft shape, I have completely redesigned the vehicle I will be using in my image. I decided to make my travellers more aerodynamic and build a vehicle inspired by the "flying wing" design. Not unlike F-117 fighters, only smoother in form. I think it is easier on the eyes, compared to the previous one...

Again, the model is probably not "Pixar-grade". But it is made by me. From scratch, textures included. And I am quite satisfied with the result.

In any case, I would like to invite you guys to share your opinions on how you like this model. Perhaps I should add more details? Maybe another texture element? I am open to suggestions. Let me just say - modelling aircrafts is way more difficult than houses!

craft1.jpg  craft2.jpg

And this is the graceless lump which I have designed prior to the "flying wing". What was I on...? ::)

craft.jpg

I'll take a break from Blender now and dive back into my contest .tgd - time to work on the terrain and the POV.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Kadri

Looks good. I would just try maybe a little different cockpit style.

Dune

It's very nice, very aerodynamic (apart from the white hitch-hiker). If you have a good UV-map, you may consider a lot of rivets connecting the plates (just placing a lot of tiny dots, easy in PS, as (additional) bumpmap), that always looks good. And make it a metallic surface with some dents and scratches (again, additional bumpmap).

N-drju

Kadri, Ulco, thank you for the comments.

Yes, the cockpit could probably be a little different as in - smooth merging with the fuselage.

The "hitchhiker" was supposed to be a long-range antenna. :D Maybe I need to repaint it to a less contrasting shade. As a matter of fact, I also thought about adding rivets along the displaced beams.

As far as scratches and denting on the model goes, I don't think this would be accurate. This is the first flight over the planet's surface after the mothership's arrival. In that case, it is reasonable to assume that the scouting crafts have been sitting in the cargo bay for the entire voyage and should be in a mint condition.

Okay, now I have a difficult decision to make! :D Here is another draft of the image and two POVs. I tried to get the camera closer to the ground, having the prior suggestion in mind. Both of these views have advantages and disadvantages! For your consideration:

NWDA 2.jpg

This, is the default POV. I have added another mesa with a steaming crater (there might be more of them scattered around). My attempts to remove the unwanted contrast between the bedrock and soil have yielded some interesting leaking patterns on the ground which I am tempted to keep (but perhaps I shouldn't?). Part of the right-bank cliff removed.

NWDA 1.jpg

Another POV where I attempt to shove camera up close. I like how the cliffs look in this point of view, though the camera position needs refinement. Water coverage would have to be expanded as well. This shot would let me show my models off a little better. 8)

Which POV would you recommend to carry on with? How do you like the second elevation with the little crater on top?

Dune

Latter one, definitely. Much more depth idea.

N-drju

Huh... this is also what my friends advise me. I change the POV then. By popular demand. ;)

But I think I need to redirect the lateral channels now... So the crafts will be flying upstream. What do you think?

upstream.jpg

This produces even more depth too.

Dune

Agura Nata

Looks good, wish you luck for the contest!
"Live and Learn!"

N-drju

Thanks!

Still trying to get a good POV, but not only. Is this going in the right direction? Hmm...

NWDA 2.jpg

The "downstream" flight seems to have better terrain features after all... And I need to put my crafts in a gentle right-bank turn. They are soooo flat. ;D

Dune

Also nice, but I would get rid of the intrusive shine in the water, either by moving cam or sun.

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on May 25, 2020, 11:08:04 AMAlso nice, but I would get rid of the intrusive shine in the water, either by moving cam or sun.

This should go away as soon as I add more clouds. In fact, I have started working on the skies:

sky_only.jpg

WAS

Since we're flying, why not tilt the camera to provide some rule of thirds? You could tilt the cameras so the distance hills fall to the right, which with the distance peaks will align more with the rule of thirds and may look better.

Dune

That's a good idea, gives it some action. Perhaps even get some sort of screen right in front, as if you're in number 4.

N-drju

Quote from: WAS on May 27, 2020, 03:42:30 PMSince we're flying, why not tilt the camera to provide some rule of thirds? You could tilt the cameras so the distance hills fall to the right, which with the distance peaks will align more with the rule of thirds and may look better.

Funny you mention this, because this is one my concerns. :D

Many of the key elements do fall on or near one of the "thirds" lines - consider the leader craft and the farther river mesa for example. But it might be aligned even better, no doubt.

There is a different concept I need to take care of - headroom. It is not well seen from this crop, but the clouds are a bit "squeezed" between the terrain and the upper edge of the image. Some tilt could indeed make 'em more visible.

Anyway, I'll think of something and keep you guys updated.
;)