Eclipse lighting

Started by PG, November 19, 2007, 03:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PG

Some of you may have seen my eclipse render in the Ashundar gallery looking particularly rubbish. I was wondering how it's possibly to increase the effect of sunlight spread across the secondary planets atmosphere so that I can get the sunlight to go round the planet like a corona.
Like this;
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3c/Solar_eclips_1999_4_NR.jpg
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

dhavalmistry

I think you will have to increase the atmosphere height....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Cyber-Angel

Thats a nice image of an eclipse, it clearly shows the suns corona (Large White/ Grey area) and solar prominences (Pink/red areas).

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel     

bigben

Quote from: dhavalmistry on November 19, 2007, 03:32:54 PM

And play with Glow power and strength
And maybe add a very thick, very low density cloud to try for that corona effect (also playing with cloud's lighting settings).

dhavalmistry

oh and also you gonna have to make your sun not case any shadows or everything will be black and you wont be able to see the planet in front of the sun  ;)

Jedi_Mediator

I have also been wondering how to do this...but for some reason the sun always shines through the secondary planet!! It makes it look as if the surface of any place on the secondary planet that is in shadow actually doesn't exist...is there some reason for this?

dhavalmistry

it is a bug and the work around is to enable ray tracing in planet's atmosphere....

Seth

Quote from: dhavalmistry on November 19, 2007, 03:32:54 PM

agree with this but you'll have to put extreme value though...

PG

Thanks guys, I'm not gonna do a total eclipse yet because of the bug, ray traced shadows doesn't seem to make any difference.
One question, by atmosphere height were you refering to ceiling height on the height control tab?

dhavalmistry

by atmosphere height....it means Haze exp height!

PG

ahhhhhhhh. cool, trying now.................hmm had to increase it really high but it just made the scene black. so I increased the sunlight strength to 150 and it made it a bit better. now half of the screen is black but it still doesn't create a corona. Gonna try getting rid of the secondary planet's atmo.