Blender to Terragen object import issue

Started by N-drju, May 15, 2020, 07:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

Terragen doesn't seem to get along with loose vertices. I have just exported an object that I have cut up in Blender using the "knife project" tool. Only to find out that faces containing loose vertices have been totally erased on import:

loose_verts.png

This is seriously painful. The only way it can be fixed is by going all round the object, erase loose verts and perform close to 100 facial reconstructions (pun, partially, intended).
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

sboerner

Terragen requires triangles or quads. It must be interpreting those polys as n-gons.

Maya's knife tool lets you cut along projections, too, which often results in bad geometry. If Blender has a merge vertex tool that might be the fastest way to fix things. 100 clicks sounds like a lot but that's not bad.

Might be faster to delete the offending polys and rebuild.

N-drju

Welding destroys the object even further, though I might be doing it wrong.

Anyway, I found a simmilar post back from 2011. It turns out that importing and just resaving the object in Poseray (no other action required) fixes the problem. Just like that. Albeit, at the cost of increasing the file size by 1/3...

Anyway thanks for, as always, chiming in Guys. Appreciate it!
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

N-drju

By the way, this is why n-gon support should become a thing for Terragen.

sboerner

QuoteBy the way, this is why n-gon support should become a thing for Terragen.

Not sure I agree with this, but then I like tidy models. :D

Glad you were able to fix the problem. Poseray is indeed the Swiss Army Knife of modeling applications. It'll fix anything.

WAS

Quote from: sboerner on May 16, 2020, 11:41:44 AMGlad you were able to fix the problem. Poseray is indeed the Swiss Army Knife of modeling applications. It'll fix anything.

Except when it doesn't. xD Like large models.

N-drju

Quote from: sboerner on May 16, 2020, 11:41:44 AMPoseray is indeed the Swiss Army Knife of modeling applications. It'll fix anything.

Well said. It's funny how a tiny little program can sometimes make a difference and save the day.
:)

luvsmuzik

Now this could be a noob answer, but I used to try to model in Sketchfab too and Anim8or and a couple of other freeware programs beside Blender. Can it not be a normal issue too when you do these boolean cuts and such? I often just recalculate normals in PoseRay when I get faces vanishing after import.....I even try fixing normals in Blender first and no luck til I send original obj to PoseRay. Blender does have an online manuel if you can find it.

j meyer

Poseray triangulates every mesh and that's why n-gons get fixed.

jaf

Also, triangulating in your modeling program will fix most non-planar problems
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02