Simple PBR Node Generator

Started by aokcub, May 30, 2020, 01:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Quote from: mhall on June 01, 2020, 01:16:39 AM
Quote from: WAS on May 30, 2020, 03:12:00 PMI know JavaScript pretty well too. Is it pretty straight-forward? Can you use other libraries with the approach? Like Mootools or something?
Electron is just a "wrapper" around the Chrome browser, and the Node execution environment. It provides them both for you and when the run the Electron program, runs a node and Chrome instance for that app (also giving you access to the local file system and network). You don't have to make a ton of changes to the way you are used to working with Javascript in the browser. You should be able to use any frontend or backend library and framework you are used to working with.

Applications like Microsoft's VSCode, which is huge in the programming space these days, are actually Electron applications. So are things like the Skype desktop client.

I haven't written an Electron application myself, but have been considering what it would take to migrate a project I've been working on to it, so I've been reading a bit and watching some videos.

Yes that's definitely true, Discord and Epic Launcher to name some others. 

It is really interesting. Totally different from web design and a kid where we were always told JavaScript was a tool and never to rely on it. Haha. Now everything is running JavaScript.  But really that's not a bad thing. I'd rather this than Flash.. there was a time they thought Java Applets and Flash and ActionScript was going to be the future of the web. Glad that didn't happen. 

Learned some pretty cool stuff today. But I feel for my apps, considering the scope of electron, while it is cool it may be much less effort to just distribute them with PHP Desktop, a chrome instance with PHP support. Since I already wrote them in PHP 😂 never know though, I like the idea of desktop apps. Even contributed to a compiler for PHP for a couple years ages ago.

mhall

Yeah, JS is everywhere these days!

Electron applications are criticized for being bloated - and it's hard to argue they aren't. An entirely separate instance of Chrome spins up for every application (and Chrome itself is known to be bloated) and it will run a number of different processes. I'm running two visible instances of VSCode right now, with 9 open files (was many more before) and it has 26 processes I can recognize in my process list and is using somewhere north of 2GB of memory. Granted, it's an extreme example. Some of the files I have open have 5,000+ lines in them that it's parsing, highlighting, linting, analyzing syntax on, providing hints/tips, etc. So, I'm not particularly taking it easy on it. But that's a lot of processes and a lot of memory all the same!

As for your recent cool TG related projects - unless you want to do it just to learn it, or can find some clear benefit in functionality - probably best to distribute them in a way you already know.

Sorry for de-railing the thread!

JoeB

Hi aokcub, Thanks so much for all your work with this. I'm trying to download the Mac version but the link from your download site is giving me the "403 Forbidden" error. I'd love to get the Mac version and try it out.

aokcub

Oops, sorry, I fixed the file permission!
Due to the security policy, the app cannot be opened by double-click.
Please right-click and click "Open".

aokcub

Updated to v0.3.0.

v0.3.0 added a new mode "Basic - Mixed", generating default shaders for both Non-metalic and metalic, and mixes them by the merge shader.

mix.pngmix2.png

https://incscenes.hateblo.jp/entry/2020/05/31/021209

Balletdude

the .mtl tab seems to be greyed out. I wanted to import the MTL file for a model I created in Blender, but can't see how to do it properly?

aokcub

Importing mtl is not implemented yet, sorry.