texture resolution limit

Started by omag, June 06, 2020, 10:29:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

omag

Hi i was wondering what is the maximum resolution texture I can bring into terragen and apply to a "planet". Also does the resolution of a texture dictate how big the texture will be in terragen, so that say I mapped a 10k planet texture but then i swap it for a 80k with same aspect ratio, will the texture scale up.

thx.

WAS

Quote from: omag on June 06, 2020, 10:29:24 AMHi i was wondering what is the maximum resolution texture I can bring into terragen and apply to a "planet". Also does the resolution of a texture dictate how big the texture will be in terragen, so that say I mapped a 10k planet texture but then i swap it for a 80k with same aspect ratio, will the texture scale up.

thx.

It won't scale up unless it's in a projection method which is 1:1. And I don't think TG necessarily has a coded limit, rather it is your systems capabilities. There may be some mathematical limit that may break things but I imagine it's pretty extreme.

KyL

I remember being able to load a 52k jpeg once. However such large images are difficult to work with in other software, so the best thing would be to cut your images in something small. I found 24k to be a sweet spot, but 32k is quite manageable as well.