Moving planet breaks displacement?

Started by DutchDimension, June 08, 2020, 10:25:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Honestly it kinda looks like the planets displacement is just being sampled differently at a different place because of quality. If the map was actually moving (or staying still while planet moves), wouldn't the colour map start clipping/moving too?

It's also probably far less work to just use your camera to simulate movement, considering there is nothing else to distinguish depth and movement from a fixed position rather than simulating the planet moving.

DutchDimension

Quote from: WAS on June 09, 2020, 01:12:36 PMIt's also probably far less work to just use your camera to simulate movement, considering there is nothing else to distinguish depth and movement from a fixed position rather than simulating the planet moving.
I would be tempted to do that if it was just me on the shot. But in big project multi-team productions one rarely has the option to do that.
The moon has to be in a sub-pixel accurate place in order to work correctly with the other (non-TG) elements in the scene. In this case the FX dept need to be able to work with a placeholder for the moon and if it's not in the correct place because I faked it with off-setting the camera, they'll come knocking. ;D
Also, should the layout department issue a new camera update (not too uncommon), I'd have to mess around with it again.

Anyway, my latest suspicion is that it might be an artifact of me having scaled down the Planet node. I've run out of time (and patience) to investigate this further.

DutchDimension

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on June 09, 2020, 03:01:43 AMDanny, I'm surprised that it does not work, because it seems to work fine for me.

I have attached the .tgd of my attempt for you to inspect.
Only thing you need to do is load your texture into that one imagemap shader.

I'll see if I can encode the 120 frame animation I made using this .tgd, but Virtualdub is stubborn with codecs as for now...
Thanks Martin. When I have some more time I will have a look at it closely. For now, I've got other shots to finish. Maya + Arnold it will be for now though. Much faster.  ;D

Tangled-Universe

Yes I understand Danny, it's the other way around I guess :p
Simple things in Maya are a mystery to me, while you know it at the back of your hand.

Anywayyy....here's what I rendered quickly with the setup I shared.