Along the Mohawk

Started by sboerner, July 11, 2020, 12:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Quote from: sboerner on September 22, 2020, 12:07:58 PMNew Durham boat model in place on the Mohawk River. This is the same one that was used in the "Crossing" rendering but with mast and rigging shipped and propulsion provided by four polemen. This model is probably more accurate than the preceding one as it is based on one discovered at the bottom a nearby lake.

Researching and building this model (and the other scene) resulted in a two-month detour . . . looking forward to moving ahead on this scene now.
although a still image it feels animated...well done; and great boat!
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

DocCharly65

Luc

Yes I like a lot too !  :)

luc
Terragen scenes & presets store
www.lucbianco.fr
Unreal Authorized Instructor

N-drju

Quote from: sboerner on September 22, 2020, 12:07:58 PMResearching and building this model (and the other scene) resulted in a two-month detour . . . looking forward to moving ahead on this scene now.

It was well worth it. Did you use fixed textures, procedural texturing or a combination of both?

I like this project - a lot of learning material here.
;)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Hannes

Beautiful!!! And indeed very well texturing.

sboerner

Thanks, everyone.

QuoteDid you use fixed textures, procedural texturing or a combination of both?
The shading was all done in Painter. The largest textures are only 2k so I'm a little surprised that they seem so detailed. There are also height maps (bumps) for the deck planking but those don't seem to be showing up at all, probably because the planks are aligned with the sun.

This was just a quick test but you've all encouraged me to give it another look. Maybe I'll try to improve the composition and use higher-resolution textures to make something a little more "finished."

masonspappy

sboerner

Dune

Wonderful!

One thing perhaps; is the 'dullness' intentional, like an old image? And perhaps another thing; the camera angle is a bit 'straight'. What if you angle it so there's more lines towards the horizon, if you get my point?

sboerner

QuoteOne thing perhaps; is the 'dullness' intentional, like an old image?
Yes and no . . . the atmosphere haze is set to a fairly high value. I also increased Bluesky density/Redsky decay to give it more of an early-morning feeling, but the overall effect seems to be that the tonal range of the image just gets flattened. Probably should remove that.

QuoteAnd perhaps another thing; the camera angle is a bit 'straight'.
This is intentional. I've been studying the paintings of George Caleb Bingham and other early-American genre painters (mainly as information sources for clothing, hair, tools, etc.). I wanted this image to follow in their footsteps, so to speak. So many of their paintings employ simple perspectives and straight horizons . . . for them, the natural landscape becomes a framing device. (Perhaps it doesn't succeed as well as I hoped but I thought it was worth a try. :) )

Appreciate the constructive criticism. As usual, Ulco, you are spot on.

Jo Kariboo

Very good work but I prefer the previous one which I had not seen and which I find excellent!

Dune

I looked him up; interesting painter. I now see your intention. You succeeded, no doubt about that! Colorwise and compositionally.

sboerner

QuoteVery good work but I prefer the previous one which I had not seen and which I find excellent!
Thank you, Jo. I know what you mean but I was curious to see what might happen if I pushed it a little bit.

QuoteI looked him up; interesting painter. I now see your intention.
Bingham had a terrific eye for detail, and meticulously recorded it, which is why I like to use his paintings as visual references. (There are no photos, of course, from the period I'm interested in.)

QuoteYou succeeded, no doubt about that! Colorwise and compositionally.
Thanks. Still fussing with it. This is just a spinoff and not the primary scene for this project, but there are a couple of small things I want to try.

sboerner

Final version, for now anyway. (Ready to get back to the main scene.)

Dune

I like this version better! It has more freshness, like a moist early morning scene. And still Bingham!