Traces of deleted files

Started by N-drju, July 19, 2020, 04:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

Quote from: WAS on July 22, 2020, 12:49:12 PMSo it seems like your initial actual problem is you don't have genuine windows but what came with the PC; 8.1?

Well, since you mention it...

My computer came with Windows 8.1 and I grew suspicious after it has returned from the service center last week with Windows 10 installed on it...

When I called these thieves yesterday they said "Microsoft is not too vocal about it... but yes! You still can update for free despite 29.07.2016 deadline! <nudge, nudge>". I instantly knew this was fishy...

Some research, web articles and chat with an acquainted lawyer later, I got the whole picture and understood I have been cheated and could have faced serious consequences.

I can't possibly imagine how can any customer service be doing anything like that! If these lunatics install the "not too vocal" Windows 10 into a small enterprise, then, they are basically buying a jail term for the poor owner. It's 5 months to 5 years around here. Gonna stretch! Like a pizza cheese...

So, I have reinstalled my legal copy of Windows that I have a key, invoice and license for.

The lesson: Don't ever trust customer service. Learn some stuff yourself as you are the only person you can trust.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

N-drju

Oh, by the way...

The game issue turned out to be the "Integrated Graphics Card" being set as a default instead of NVidia. Not sure why it got switched but I changed it back.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

KlausK

Did not realize it was about not having a second harddrive.

What the service guys told you about being able to still upgrade your (legal) OS to Win10 is actually true.
The last computer I had a copy of Win7 running was upgraded via online activation to Win10 only a month or so ago.
I do not know the criteria by which the MS servers decide wether you get the Win10 activation or not
and it is not advertised in any way but seemingly one might be "lucky".

Anyway, it`s still strange doing that kind of thing without contacting you first.
CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

WAS

I can confirm this is true, in fact @D.A. Bentley provided me with Genuine Windows 7 discs and keys, and I was able to update my old PC to Windows 10. The person who sold it to me said it was Genuine, but it suddenly became invalid, and when I went I did some digging associated with the windows update service I found that it was being spoofed, and that spoofed just no longer worked. I never thought to check because I figured the seller was honest, least he looked like a sharp dressed honest kid. But the computer now has hold genuine despite numerous tests, and also passes the scrutiny test of your system for the insider program, which checks the license directly rather then just the key validity and if the system says it's genuine.

Honestly I suspect it was for PR reasons. To actually end this program, they would have to issue a transparent update about the removal of services from your OS. This usually never goes over well and people complain even if Microsoft said it was only for a year. Unless it's something people have complained about for ages, like wasted dead space of inactive or sparsely updated live tiles. Additionally, Windows 10 itself is a service, and they can wring money out of us some other way, such as upgrading to a different tier of OS like Pro/Enterprise, or planned later features (???).

Then again, maybe there are regional concerns?

N-drju

Quote from: WAS on July 22, 2020, 11:44:19 PMI can confirm this is true, in fact @D.A. Bentley provided me with Genuine Windows 7 discs and keys, and I was able to update my old PC to Windows 10. The person who sold it to me said it was Genuine, but it suddenly became invalid, and when I went I did some digging associated with the windows update service I found that it was being spoofed, and that spoofed just no longer worked. I never thought to check because I figured the seller was honest, least he looked like a sharp dressed honest kid. (...)

Honestly I suspect it was for PR reasons. To actually end this program, they would have to issue a transparent update about the removal of services from your OS.

There you go. I also thought that my service is staffed with responsible people. I think so no more.

I do not think it is safe to get Windows 10 by doing a "free" upgrade. Just because Microsoft offers Windows 10 image on their page does not mean it is free.

The lawyer I spoke with has explained this in a very understandable and simple way - suppose there is a luxury car parked in the street with door opened and keys and all documentation inside. Does that entitle you to start the engine?

Also worth of note is the fact that Microsoft does not have to explicitly ban the "free" update to Windows 10, because they already have a clause on their page which states, straight and simple, that free update to Windows 10 has been discontinued, effective 29th July 2016. This in itself, constitutes an explicit limitation from their point of view - a copyright owner's point of view. Legally, they don't have to issue any further comments.

Then of course, the National Revenue Administration (or whatever it is called in your country) has the right to control the content of your computer, by performing the so-called "software legality checks". Should you run into one with a bootleg Windows, you are screwed.

WAS

Quote from: N-drju on July 23, 2020, 04:48:56 AMThe lawyer I spoke with has explained this in a very understandable and simple way - suppose there is a luxury car parked in the street with door opened and keys and all documentation inside. Does that entitle you to start the engine?

But that's not how it works at all.

You can upgrade. You can register that copy of Windows 10 with Microsoft, including joining the insider program and extra scrutiny, and if you'd like I can call Microsoft to confirm this, it's toll-free for me as a local call. If this wasn't the case, Microsoft would issue demands for large news agencies to revise their news and update to clarify their claims are false and unlawful.

Mind you that PC has been running Windows 10 for over a year and gone though various Windows Update license checks (where ungenuine licenses would be revoked and your system tell you to activate in 30 days). 

Additionally if a license was ungenuine Windows simply takes genuine features, which are only personalization in Windows 10 Home, and allow you to freely use Windows 10. For example I'm breaking no laws running Windows 10 without a license on my server as. KVM for using Terragen on the go from my phone on remote desktop.

jaf

(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

N-drju

There is too much confusion about this. I understand your point, but I think you'll also agree that if having the "peace of mind" is important to me, then it makes little sense to have Windows 10 that one is not entirely sure of. ???

This should, indeed, be clarified by Microsoft. Once and for all time. This is why I wanted to kn ow whether there are any files left, after the HDD is wiped. I wouldn't want any Windows 10 files still left on my drive, interfering with the new (old) system.

N-drju

I just thought I'll mention this yet...

It seems that my hardware doesn't even like Windows 10... There have been quite a number of issues that I no longer observe when back with Windows 8.1. In Windows 10 I have experienced the following problems:

- Slow, jerky transitions on the welcome screen
- Unable to open image viewer when rendering and getting the image viewer crash (WTAF?? ???)
- When playing the game, fan going full speed all the time (by comparison, now it slows down to almost zero when in "pause" screen and the case is lukewarm at most)
- MSI-related "F" keys not responding.

So yeah, I guess Windows 8.1 is my weapon of choice for the years to come.

WAS

Sounds like a typical proprietary OEM laptop, drivers all tuned for their OEM OS, than abandoned (driver wise) for their new line of laptops down the line.