Tropical Beach

Started by sjefen, July 22, 2020, 01:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjefen

Alright. Thanks for the answer. I do have the professional version, but always thought something looked strange with the displacement. Wish it could be called bump map and also have a real displacement option. Something calculated at rendertime or something.

Here is a clay render just because I love clay renders. Clouds are removed for faster rendering.

40_clay - 01c.jpg

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

WAS

Quote from: sjefen on July 23, 2020, 05:43:06 PMWish it could be called bump map and also have a real displacement option. Something calculated at rendertime or something.

Depending on the quality the model you may be able to get away with using the Mesh Displacer in UV mode with the displacement of the object, and than use the force ray tracing for the the normal map. I think there are artefacts with shadows though cause of object resolution.

Hannes

Quote from: j meyer on July 23, 2020, 12:01:54 PM(the force displacement
feature won't have correct shadows, so is no choice often)
I'm not sure, what you mean, Jochen. Force displacement uses a map or a shader as real displacement and should cast correct shadows.

I don't think, real displacement is really necessary for the palm tree trunks, but it should work.

Hannes

Example

N-drju

Quote from: Hannes on July 24, 2020, 02:05:32 AMExample

And a good one too. Can't really tell the difference between them. Except, of course, for the actual shaping seen at the object's edges with true displacement applied.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

KlausK

@Hannes:
but we can`t see the shadows on the ground in your example...
Anyway, this perhaps might be discussed in a(nother) new thread which deals (again) with Image Map Displacement.

https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,28121.html

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

René

Your struggle has been worth the effort. It's a beautiful image. I don't think the wave is necessarily wrong; waves often get higher when they hit the beach because they are slowed down.waves.jpg

j meyer

Hannes I meant the shadows on the ground where still an undisdplaced
object was seen when I tested it some time ago.
And I'm still on TG 3.x so maybe it is better in TG 4.x nowadays.

Hannes

No, Jochen, you're absolutely right. I did another test with a more exaggerated displacement, and the sphere on the ground. The shadow on the ground wasn't correct, and even the self shadowing didn't work.

sjefen

Thanks guys. I will experiment a little more. But would like a real displacement option. It would make it easier to get real close to many objects.

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Dune

You could try Poseray. It can make extra polys and displacement from an imported bump/displacementmap. If you do that to only trunk and then combine leaves and trunk again...
Or use other modeling app.

WAS

Quote from: René on July 24, 2020, 10:54:11 AMYour struggle has been worth the effort. It's a beautiful image. I don't think the wave is necessarily wrong; waves often get higher when they hit the beach because they are slowed down.waves.jpg

Also when they break, air inflates the space because if the movement. We are in the sound here so no big waves and the surf is calm all the way to the beach, than we get little waives that occasionally break and swell up into a foot tall small wall and crash into the rocks. So yeah definitely not wrong.