Spirit

Started by Lucio, November 25, 2007, 04:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucio

A pair of months ago I thought about a project utilizing TG2 to represent the notorius Mars rover in action.

I started it in my spare time just for fun... and quickly turned out into a real obsession. What came out is a more-than-a-month work with a pretty complicated workflow to realize the final image.

The first thing to do was building the rover, done with AutoCAD. Even if pretty resemblant it's not intended to be exactly fit to reality - I modeled it almost exclusively "by eye" watching photographs, images taken by the rovers, the wonderful works of Dan Maas and little technical data collected over the internet. It was a real pain in the ass, but I also had a lot of fun working on it and discovered a lot of interesting things. Here's the first version, before additional modeling done in MAX

The original intention was to import an .OBJ version into TG2 doing a straight render but the model continued to grow and grow up - too big, too many materials and complex shaders to work out. So I decided to split the workflow and utilize Mental Ray to render the rover then TG2 to complete the environment using LWO exporter and the EmecStudios plugin (very useful) to perfectly match cameras and lightsources.

So I set up the model materials with Mental Ray and simultaneously started working on a decent environment on TG2 where to place the finished rover. To get a perfect integration between the two render engines I recurred to image-based lighting and realized an HDR vertical cross of the finished .tgd with six separate images rendered in TG2 (then converted in a lat/long map with HDRShop) to use with MR indirect illumination and environment reflection (here's an 8 bit depht reduced version):

The next step was creating an .LWO portion of the selected area to use as matte terrain in MAX to place the scaled rover, and to import a reduced poly .OBJ version in TG2 to create the wheel traces. I used an orthoprojection camera to render a terrain reference for Photoshop and paint the traces. The resulting texture was used as a displacement function in TG2

Here comes the final render, with the two images rendered in TG2 and MAX then linked together in PS

The rover shadow is rendered with Mental Ray over the matte terrain, then imported as an additional layer. All the image editing work has been done on .EXR format to get best control over tonal range.
This is not a final version, and I'm still not very satisfied with it but I decided to freeze the work until I'll have my hardware renewed - working with this project on a single core P4 was very painful. Maybe I'll post some other version with different balancing but the plan is to produce a serie of images in different environments and atmospheric conditions.
These are the main steps I followed to work things out, but if I should say all the things I've done over this project I could fill a little book on it ;D.

Even if it's not entirely TG2 I thought it would be fine to post it here and share my work with you, because Terragen has a fundamental part on it. Plus, it could be a good example on how to integrate our beloved scenery-generator software in articulated pipelines.

Regards,

Lucio

Will

nice, I like the tracks alot too.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Tangled-Universe

Holy ...., amazing work! :)
I have no idea how you exactly did all this work, too complicated for me (probably)  ;D
If I understand correctly the TG part in the image is an image plane and you placed the rover on the right position in max, then render the rover + image plane in max?
I really like the concept and it is very well executed.

Martin

Lucio

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on November 25, 2007, 05:11:40 PM
Holy ...., amazing work! :)
I have no idea how you exactly did all this work, too complicated for me (probably)  ;D
If I understand correctly the TG part in the image is an image plane and you placed the rover on the right position in max, then render the rover + image plane in max?
I really like the concept and it is very well executed.

Martin

Thank you Martin!

All the environment is a TG2 image, while the rover is rendered with Mental Ray then "pasted" over the original image and cropped properly.

Lucio

I forgot to say thanks to Adiwan for his very useful clip file to generate sand dunes, it gave me the right ideas :)

old_blaggard

Very nice!  The shadow of the rover doesn't quite match up to the Terragen, but both the rover and the Terragen look incredibly realistic!  The model is great in and of itself.  Beautiful work!
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

dhavalmistry

"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

chefc

Excellent work on the Rover Nice incorperation to TG2
Great work
Chef C  ;)

Serving the masses  8)

Seth

very good work !!! congrats for this one !

rcallicotte

So that's how they did it...

;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Lucio

Thanks for the kind comments!

o_b: with a test render I checked the rover shadow projected by the dummy .OBJ imported in TG2 and is pretty similar.. I'll try to fake some edge to make it a bit more believable.

jcinbama

Lucio

Here's an alternative version with different color range and shadows a bit improved. I'm undecided about what to do to get the best output but now it's time to stop working on it :)

dhavalmistry

just a concern....the tracks get kinda lost in the background.....since you have gone for maximum realism here....it would be better if the tracks go further more into the background and off the page.....

and I love the sand effect....you gotta show us how you did that!
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

jo

Hi Lucio,

Those look great. This is a perfect example of why we don't really intend to turn TG2 into a full fledged general object renderer, but rather make it easier to integrate TG2 output with that from other renderers which are better at general object rendering.

Regards,

Jo