New system 2020

Started by Dune, September 08, 2020, 06:17:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nala1977

not really related to the whole thread but this is what i use when i wanna tweak something in windows 10. never gave me any problem.
use at your own risk tho.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultimate-windows-tweaker-4-windows-10

Dune

Thanks very much. Looks interesting.

Dune

Hey guys, next dilemma. Some of the GPU's I wanted are not available (soon) and I need to purchase now. If I had to choose between these 3, what would you do?

Gigabyte Geforce RTX 3060 Ti Gaming OC 8G €500
Powercolor RX 5700 XT Red Devil €530
PNY GeForce GTX 1660 super 6GB XLR8 Gaming OC Edition €300

Not for gaming, just fluently working in the viewport of TG is enough.

WAS

Please don't buy powercolor, I say this cause of horror stories with friends, and the only card I ever had fail, brand new, was a powercolor HD5950, which took the whole PC with it (mobo and PSU). This was the first PC I bought new too so it was highly depressing.

Dune

Thanks, WAS. Good to know, I had my doubt, never heard of the brand. Another dilemma is that the CPU won't work with win 7, so I seem to be obliged to use the dreaded win 10. But on win 10 some older versions of software I use won't be supported. So it's getting more complicated as I go... I may even decide to muddle along for the time being.

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on December 09, 2020, 05:57:56 AMHey guys, next dilemma. Some of the GPU's I wanted are not available (soon) and I need to purchase now. If I had to choose between these 3, what would you do?

Gigabyte Geforce RTX 3060 Ti Gaming OC 8G €500
Powercolor RX 5700 XT Red Devil €530
PNY GeForce GTX 1660 super 6GB XLR8 Gaming OC Edition €300

I'd honestly stay loyal to GTX 1660. Or Gigabyte at least.

I'm a little late to the show, but I do have a great interest in this topic.

I do not wish to add to your confusion Ulco, but I just thought I'd share the offer that my supplier has just sent me (company name and logo have been, understandably, obscured). See the attachment:

grabbbbb.jpg

Basically, a 5950x-oriented system with SSD and an HDD. I understand SSD will be used for an OS install.

P.S.: Subject to change. Note that this offer did not take a 32GB RAM into consideration just yet. Forgot to request for a bigger RAM. Will do it in the next e-mail.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

That looks really good, Andrzej. I hope you'll soon be working on that monster.

I'll postpone until next year, as I'm still very much in doubt. But in the meantime, I need some advice about GPU for my present machine. It's now got a GT 610 (specs below), and I continually get a black screen when working with just one app like Marvelous Designer. Sometimes the screen remains black and I have to cold reboot, at other times it regains control, but apps crash. Nerve-wrecking, to be honest.
GT 610 specs:
driver 391.35
cuda kernels 48
clock 810MHz
proc clock 1620MHz
memory speed 1200MHz
memory bandwidth 9.6 GB/s
graphical memory 9967MB
videomemory 2048MB DDR3
system video memory 0MB
shared system memory 7919MB

I guess it's the GPU, though I didn't think it was that bad, so I'd like to know if it would be better to upgrade... and to what card. I don't want a very expensive one, but it has to be able to cope with these 3D apps. Any advice is very welcome!

KlausK

hi Dune,

I`d put it this way: it IS bad - for nowadays applications ::)

Here is a link to a shop in CH as a collection of GPUs which would do the job:

https://www.brack.ch/it-multimedia/pc-komponenten/grafikkarten?filter%5BattributeGroupFacet_grafikfamilie%5D%5B%5D=Nvidia%20GeForce%20GTX&limit=48&sortProducts=Beste%20Ergebnisse&query=*

Just copy the link into the address line in a browser.
Any of these with the 16xxTi being the latest I think. You should be able to find some of them in the NL.
I have a 1070 with 8GB VRAM which works ok.
You have to check if your current powersupply is strong enough for these and if it has the right connectors.
Make sure a newer GPU plays well with your old gear...

To be honest, I think that buying "inbetweeners" before upgrading to a new modern system could be more costly in the end. m2cts.
Hope that helps.

CHeers, Klaus

ps: I always buy used stuff when I upgrade. The price difference is almost always worth the risk. Only a completely new system gets the benefit of all brand new parts.
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune

Thanks a lot, Klaus. I know it's 'cheaper' to replace the whole machine (from 2011) by a new rig, but in the meantime I would still like to work on it, so I'll buy a proper card first. I found this site with my mobo and best stuff for it: https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Asus-P8Z68-V-PRO-GEN3/2498
Seems like the GTX 970 is best. I'll check further.

EDIT: found this; Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 D6 OC 4G - Grafische kaart. Reasonably priced.

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on December 15, 2020, 05:50:56 AMThat looks really good, Andrzej. I hope you'll soon be working on that monster.

Thanks. I'm also very eager to get my hands on it. :)

Quote from: Dune on December 15, 2020, 05:50:56 AMI'll postpone until next year, as I'm still very much in doubt. But in the meantime, I need some advice about GPU for my present machine. It's now got a GT 610 (specs below), and I continually get a black screen when working with just one app like Marvelous Designer.

GT 610 is indeed an oldie, and (if I remember well) a 1GB GPU... Sadly, this is "two sizes, too small" for your needs.

EDIT: Scratch that, looks like it's a 2GB version.

GTX 1650 is a really decent solution but be prepared for a long wait. This was my first pick as well, until my supplier messaged me that there is an "utter havoc" going on in the GPU realm. The demand is high but the supply is scarce.

This is why I actually had to change my GPU to GT 1030 (a 4GB card). Nobody knows when (or if) 1650 arrives in Poland... But then again, I only use Terragen and Blender, so my needs are somewhat lower than yours. I don't know how the supply situation looks like in the Netherlands though, maybe I should have picked a Dutch supplier instead.
:P
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

A lot of the (preferred) cards are out of stock indeed (unknown waiting time), but I remember this one being in stock. Good to know it was your first pick. Comes out well in reviews. In the meantime I lowered anti-aliasing from 16 to 2 in Marvelous Designer, and hope for it not to crash that easily.
And yes, stock may differ per country.

EDIT: no, not available....