can i restrict cloud position?

Started by Rich, January 01, 2007, 05:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich

Hi ...by the way i'm new here :)

In the latest scene im working on, I'm trying to restrict where the clouds in one of my cloud layers are allowed to actually show up to coincide with the position of something on the surface (which i know the coordinates of)
...so for example they would only be allowed to show up within a 1000 radius of some position...
I cant figure it out, anyone know what i should do?

Tim O'Donoghue

You can't do that yet, except kinda randomly. In the control for the layer(s) in question, keep hitting "Random Seed" until you get one that fits, then save it. I'd also take a clip of it for later use.

Oshyan mentioned that there will be more cloud control later on in the development of Terragen 2

Rich

ok, thanks for letting me know, i was afraid that might be the only way...
now i have to turn down the coverage and pray that a cloud appears only over my volcano...

Tim O'Donoghue

if you get one *almost* there, tweak the sun a bit to move the shadows?

FrankB

Would it help you to be able to shift the cloud layer along the xz plane to your liking? Then simply put a transform shader between cloud fractal and cloud layer, and enter values in the "translate" fields for xyz (in meter), to push the clouds around as you may.

Rich

That would really help, i'll give it a try. thanks

jfmoyen

Quote from: Rich on January 01, 2007, 05:12:47 PM
Hi ...by the way i'm new here :)

In the latest scene im working on, I'm trying to restrict where the clouds in one of my cloud layers are allowed to actually show up to coincide with the position of something on the surface (which i know the coordinates of)
...so for example they would only be allowed to show up within a 1000 radius of some position...
I cant figure it out, anyone know what i should do?

Hi,

I'm new myself -- but I tried to play around and see what I could do. I'm not giving a solution, but maybe a starting point ?

What I did is a sphere, floating above the ground (it's red for convenience, allows to se quickly whether you can see through things or not); its shader is a "default shader", using power fractals as displacement function (to make it less regular), colour function and transparency function.

It's far from perfect; but it might be a strating point for further investigations. The problems with this solution is that the sphere is "empty" (its shader is a surface -- not volume-- shader). Not sure whether it is possible to have a "volume" shader? If not, maybe putting one or two smaller spheres within the big one could be enough to "fake" a volumetric fill?

I also tried to use a "cloud" shader and blend it with a power fractal -- but it doesn't work (the cloud shader generates black areas, that are interpreted as transparent when they belong to a "real" cloud but stay black in this case).

JF

Oshyan

I'd say the easiest way currently would be to use an image-based mask/density shader and through-camera projection. You have to decide whether you want to create the mask for a specific angle, or try to create a decent mask that will work from above.

If you do it from your camera position just render a low detail version of your scene then open it in an image editor and paint white where you want the clouds to be, black everywhere else. Then load your image mask with an Image Map shader, attach that to your Density Shader input on the cloud layer (or better yet, for some realistic randomness, to the Blend shader input of your existing Density Shader), select Through Camera for projectiont ype, specify your main camera as the projection camera, and then try a test render. Depending on whethere there were already clouds there it might work. You may have to shift the existing Density Shader toward white quite a bit to get enough coverage. The realism of this will depend largely on the quality and shape of your mask, so ideally you'd use something like a cloud photo source to define the edges. You could even make a mask out of an existing real-life volcano eruption photo if you wanted to.

The alternative is to try to do a mask from above. I'm not sure how well this would work (I'm honestly not sure how well the other approach would work either, hehe), but it may be worth a try. Essentially you'd use the same technique as above except you'd make a 2nd camera and position it over your volcano, then make your render, and then in creating the mask make more like a circle over the point you want the clouds to cover. The rest is more or less the same.

Give that a shot and let us know what comes out. It'll probably start out pretty ugly but it might be workable. Just for some example I did manage to render some clouds based on a mask I created by adjusting levels in a photo of clouds and they looked pretty decent. But it's more problematic with really 3D clouds; mine were more like cirrus.

We do hope to provide better explicit cloud manipulation tools in the future which should make stuff like this easier. A classic particle-based system would probably be ideal but I don't think we'll manage to get a full particle system into TG2. Maybe TG3. ;)

- Oshyan

dhavalmistry

Thanx Oshyan for the idea and it seems to work....I just rendered a test cloud with image map shader plugged into blending shader of the density fractal of the clouds and here is what I came up with (of course it needs some tweaking)
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

cyphyr

Now that is lovely and hey its Valentines comming up :)
Cheesy renders for girlfriends and partners will abound  ;D
Also opens up some other interesting posibilities
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Will

just think if you could get ryas to go though that and have pink clouds aroud it, possibly a rainbow.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

moodflow

Be sure to change the image projection from the "through camera" to plan Y, or you'll get those sharp edges, as seen in the cloud heart image above.  One thing I've been doing is using an image map for a distribution shader for clouds (with that image being photos of clouds themselves).  The results can be impressive.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Oshyan

Through Camera projection is necessary for some of these effects to work. PlanY will give you a totally different effect and a mask that is appropriate for one won't work for the other. Both are useful and it's good to know how and when to use each.

- Oshyan

king_tiger_666

hi

could one of you please post a tgd file of how you went about restricting the clouds it would help greatly thanks....

<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

dhavalmistry

here you go...
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"