Error on loading saved scene 'there is no active camera' latest build - Windows

Started by 01kingj_gen, September 12, 2020, 08:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

01kingj_gen

Hiya I've just joined the educational community using the latest version of Terragen 4 and I've got an issue i cannot fathom. 

when i try and re open a scene i have previously saved the scene pops up with the following errors and will not load the scene, I've found this even happens on scenes with no changes at all made to it, i open a fresh scene.. save it using a standard format i.e - "Island_save_001" .

frustratingly i only found this out after saving numerous increments then coming back to the scene the following day.

i have an educational license... is this a restriction of the educational version? no saving? 

if i open the scene using a text editor i cannot see anything crazy jumping out and saying 'hey look i've got a weird naming convention or symbol' :-(

Thoughts?

regards..

JK

Dune

Can you post the tgd? It seems there is no camera or it's not connected to the renderer.

01kingj_gen

Thank you for getting back to me Dune... This is a scene i have opened fresh made no changes to and then saved... and then tried to reopen and i get the no camera error.

Any tips tricks or even manual changes to the Scene file with a text editor would be appreciated.

JK

;-)

Dune

There are 2 camera's and one camera node is exactly on top of the other. When I deleted camera 01, saved and reopened, the error was gone. Maybe try that, and perhaps it helps for you too.

01kingj_gen

Hi Dune. do you mean in the Scene file or when opened with a text editor? when i first create a scene i only have the one node as far as i can see called Render Camera?

Thank you for your time today... 

JK

01kingj_gen

Hi Dune.... I quickly opened the scene file in the text editor and can only see one scene Camera 'Render Camera' for load here too, and it matches what was saved. hmmmm maybe i need an older version of Terra... i started with the latest V4 build just yesterday. Maybe a small bug. hmmm

01kingj_gen

Ok so i think i have solved my problem, it seems like there was some form of Bug in the 'Start up Scene' that is created when loading Terra for the first time, because of this issue, every save i made after startup included the issue, and so every scene created there after was corrupt.

Solution - Opening one of the sample scenes 'Canyon' and stripping out all of the Canyon create nodes except the compute terrain node. (Keeping the rest of the scene in tact).

Then saving this as my new 'Start up Scene' ... i realised you can set a default startup scene in the preferences... so now i have a clean working base to work from. 

Fun times....but nothing surprises me in 2020. :-) 

Thanks for your time @duke though... your idea of deleting the phantom Camera one is what got my tiny brain ticking.

:-) 

JK

WAS

If Windows somehow corrupted the XML file during install to the Program Files folder, I would reinstall Terragen. Who knows what elso didn't install properly. I just had all sorts of issues with Terragen that a reinstallation solved. Some bugs are just frontier, but a lot of them was just a bugged install.

While running the installer (or any installer) be sure you have no heavy tasks operating that could take up CPU time. This can cause issues with decompression of files from the installer. Honestly i still go by win95 advise and don't have anything open during installs.

Kadri

Are there any non standard windows letters where you save your files or installed Terragen?
In your scene there is this:
"output_image_filename = "@ïL¹\${TGDNAME}.%04d.tif"
 extra_output_image_filename = "@ïL¹\${TGDNAME}.${IMAGETYPE}.%04d.tif" "

WAS

Quote from: Kadri on September 12, 2020, 01:54:30 PM"output_image_filename = "@ïL¹\${TGDNAME}.%04d.tif"
 extra_output_image_filename = "@ïL¹\${TGDNAME}.${IMAGETYPE}.%04d.tif" "

I don't think that's normal xD

Dune

@ïL` This was indeed on line 140. What the extra camera had to do with it I don't know. But saving after deletion and reopeneing gave no errors