Slow renders compared to the past projects

Started by N-drju, September 23, 2020, 04:42:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

I am a little dissapointed by my recent discovery.

I have recently re-rendered an old project of mine, back from 2014 and the entire process took about 3 hours (no PT), which is perfect.

However, renders of similar complexity done with new projects in Terragen 4 take 8 to 11 hours (no PT).

This is why I don't trust the professed "faster rendering" assurances that the main page displays.

I wonder if there are any changes or settings involved that make old projects render like a dream...? Whether anything else created with TG 4 seems to take forever to complete. This is quite disappointing...

My hardware is in good condition, so this is not the cause. CPU is (a slightly overcloked) 2.9Ghz i7, paired up with 16GB RAM.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

Similar complexity is arbitrary. One brutal displacement somewhere and render time soars. So, what if you render the exact old scene in a newer version? I'd expect a faster render time.

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on September 23, 2020, 04:53:10 AMSimilar complexity is arbitrary.

I think that you have a point, but I'm not fully convinced nonetheless. Old projects render out like a dream like I said, co that's cool. However, I can't even close in on these render times with anything new I make... ???
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

So, make something new, render in latest build and then render in older build, see what the difference is...

WAS

I'd think those projects don't have "better displacement continuity" in PFs, or Surface Layers too. New PFs enable this by default.  But the default terrain node from TG4's install still has it unchecked.

Just in default terrain if you get up on that mountain you can see a substantial difference in displacement quality with it checked, and render times go up a tad. This can add up, especially with low min scales and rough stuff.

This all being said I feel the PT has gotten slower. I dunno.

Robust sampler ive noticed slower in some strange circumstances, but I was doing ridiculous stuff like a inverter world inside the sphere (halo).