A Star Wars spaceship in NYC

Started by Hannes, September 26, 2020, 11:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

I found this nice (and free!) spaceship model at CG Trader made by Malte Ulrich. It had very nice and detailed textures as well, but they were UDIM textures, which can't be converted to be used with an OBJ for example. So after some unsuccessful attempts I decided to make my own textures, which I did in 3D Coat. The ship has five parts. I created a different 4K texture set for each one of them. There is also some procedural texturing for the wet streaks.
Of course I started to use this model in space scenes, but I eventually found it more interesting in other environments. I used loads of previously used objects and refined some stuff here and there, also some textures.
The whole scene is lit only by a huge white selfilluminating plane, and the clouds are a hemisphere with a hemispherical cloud image mapped onto it. I tried to light the scene only with the hemisphere, but the lighting of the plane looked better. So I made the plane invisible and the hemisphere visible, but "invisible to other rays".
The road texture is from https://www.cgbookcase.com/. Lot of good stuff there. I think the link was already shared.

Dune

So Cool! Great job texturing the beast too. Love the lighting as well, and a good reminder that I have to use this diffuse light more often (than never).

Hannes

Thanks a lot, Ulco! First I had a regular sun setup, but after I tried this diffuse light, it looked much more interesting to my taste.

Dune

Yes, a lot of stuff is only sunshone, so it's a good idea!

WAS

No offense to the ship, but more impressed with the surroundings as on my phone I thought "that's strange he posted a composite render of a ship in NYC" than I looked around and noticed the whole thing was 3D. So yeah on my small phone realism was passed at a glance very well.

I assume the focus is so well done and dominating I was drawn to the ship and everything else was comprehended by my brain as normal and real.

Hannes

cyphyr

Great image, lots of detail, must have been a heavy render.
The crowds are great 
Just noticed the dog lol
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Hannes

Quote from: cyphyr on September 26, 2020, 01:22:23 PMGreat image, lots of detail, must have been a heavy render.
The crowds are great
Just noticed the dog lol
;D ;D ;D couldn't resist...
Rendertimes were OK. About 3 hours at 3K resolution with the path tracer.

DocCharly65

Very cool! ... and seems that Rosy is everywhere ;)

Jo Kariboo

Excellent! It is a very well done staging. The light is very realist!

sboerner

This is great! Superb shading on the spaceship. And like Jordan, at first glance I also thought this was a composite when I opened it on my laptop. The lighting is *so* New York.

Hannes

masonspappy

zaxxon

Nice collection of assets! I'm with everyone who has commented on the lighting: excellent indeed. I really like the thread of humor and whimsy that runs thru much of your work, and this one is very enjoyable to just take the time to appreciate the details and the fun of the composition. Interesting that you use 3DCoat. I'm starting to dive into it and find it a bit quirky but powerful, curious as to your thoughts?