Update request - higher resolution limit for "Creative"

Started by N-drju, September 23, 2020, 04:58:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

I would like Planetside to kindly consider offering a higer resolution limit for the "Creative" edition of Terragen. The limit I'd like to see is at least 6000px. This could really give "advancing" artists (like me) a welcomed incentive and, not coincidentaly, more possibilities to monetize on the projects made with Terragen.

This is just 1000 extra pixels. ;) I'd be grateful if you could consider this request!
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

I don't mean to be mean here, but I think it's best left alone. My reasoning why:

With current cleaning/smoothing algorithms, it wouldn't be hard to take resolution limited at 6000px w/h and produce relatively good 8k content.

That being said, with it limited to 5000px it's more beneficial too downscale to 4K for super crisp results, or upscale a tad to 5k resolutions.

This keeps Creative, imo; in scope with a lot of resolution limitations in other software. With 8K becoming more standard, this gives users a incentive for TG4 Professional.

N-drju

I understand your point. But it has nothing to do with algorithms, 8k content or upscaling.

It's just that per Artstation size requirements, I'd be able to offer three - four additional print sizes if the resolution was at least 6000px. In fact, even 5500px would be super.

I trust this is not beyond Planetside's capacity and would hardly cut into their profit margin (if the latter is a case at all.)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

Quote from: N-drju on September 25, 2020, 02:00:17 AMIt's just that per Artstation size requirements, I'd be able to offer three - four additional print sizes if the resolution was at least 6000px. In fact, even 5500px would be super.
That really may answer your own question maybe. You can profit all the much more with higher quality prints. I know average canvas or metal hang is like 60 70 bucks each right? Poster at like 18 bucks for mini posters? I know you don't get all that but I'm just saying easy for a good artist to make a continual profit. I've seen artists I've followed for years in people's living rooms and rooms now. Totally different age for independent artist. Though at the same time a 1000 pixels for such a gain in your store is pretty awesome and maybe Matt can accommodate. Sure would be nice.

N-drju

Yes, from what I can see in other artists' pages, smaller sized pieces cost about $20 on average.

5000px limit seems a tad unfair for a product that is cleared for commercial use. It's not impossible to make money with that limitation in place... But on Artstation this narrows the possibilities down.

In any case, I hope Matt will chime in and offer his view on this.

Matt

We don't have any plans to increase the max resolution in the Creative edition, but you can get a short term Professional license for only $38/month and cancel it when you no longer need it.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

N-drju

Too bad. Looks like I'll just have to win the next contest. 8)