Funny ears

Started by Dune, October 16, 2020, 02:49:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

A new guy, testing. I have to increase polycount to make his hair though; they sit in rows, kind of. I'm always a bit on the meagre side when it comes to polys, as the objects get heavier and heavier with more hair and more polys in the hair, and I'm reluctant to get them over a few hundred MB's. I usually use them on a bit of distance anyway. Though for more quality it needs to be. This guy is now 200Mb.
Small error in the ears, too much bump.
Mind you, this is 'just' a DAZ figure.

DocCharly65

In fact a kind of skin disease at the ears ;D
But nonetheless a great character render!

N-drju

Great figure. DAZ hairstyles, when exported, doesn't seem to be too heavy though... perhaps you could just build some basic strands and define hair through opacity map, like DAZ does?

The fact that this is "just" a DAZ figure speaks volumes about the possibilities that the "basic" free figure offers. Something I still have to explore. Unfortunately, I am bogged down in the paperwork these days.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Hannes

Nevertheless great character. I assume this is not subsurface scattering? Maybe his ears would look less bumpy with a sss shader.

sboerner

Daz model perhaps, but I assume you've reworked the mesh and shading. Great character.

Dune

Thanks guys. No SSS indeed, but I just had the bump factor too high.

The character is morphed (made in ZB) in DAZ, but no other higher poly additions to the original Genesis 1 figure. The rest is TG shading; global dirt and skin variation, a skin image map for extra bump, an image map with some scratches and pustules/pimples, that sort of thing.

I do have basic strands with an image map, but this fibre mesh hair is better. For close-up people I just need to dive into the higher polycount some day.

Dune

Another Neanderthal, with more hairs and thus 250MB. Still not enough hairs... :(

Hannes

Great already! I like the skin/fur ( I mean the clothing) a lot!

N-drju

I'd say this is a pretty good model and a fair trade for 250 megabytes. I'd say 450 if I was supposed to guess it.

The hair on the Neanderthal looks alright, but the clothing could indeed be improved. Perhaps you can just "comb" it parallel to the skin, rather than having it pricked up like this? You know, kind of a thick-fiber coat that cannot be ruffled.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

The guy is cold, so the hairs on his cloak stand up ;D

DocCharly65

Quote from: Dune on October 23, 2020, 06:59:14 AMThe guy is cold, so the hairs on his cloak stand up ;D
;D

Great!

Dune

Last version for now, RT render. Made more hairs on his suit. I think I'll leave him like this.

DocCharly65

The additional Hair looks good! And I think you have reduced the aperture diameter a bit? I Like it.

Dune

Thanks Nils. I'm pretty satisfied (though I can always do better if using a million polys :P  ) Aperture down a bit indeed. I found it too blurry.

Hannes

That guy looks really great. I have to say that out of curiosity I'd love to see this character with subsurface scattering.