Surf (again)

Started by Dune, October 20, 2020, 03:02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

New basic setup again on one layer. Jon's multiply and add trick works to shift the range within the sinuses. Learned something again. Now I need to find the best mask for the crests. This is simply done by altitude, and some random (and of course the coastal foam range).

Two versions with a difference ;)

Dune

They go fast.

ADE

looking cool. I tried something similar yrs ago, couldnt get waves to curl, but mastered the foam pretty well imo

DocCharly65

WAS

I liked the pushed surf of the earlier versions foams but like the waves.

Dune

A bit bigger and some adjustments. Notice anything strange about the water?

Dune

It isn't very busy here, but I still wonder what you guys notice about the water.....

RichTwo

Overall the the waves look great, but is it the reflectivity?  Or the foam should ride along the crests' edges?
They're all wasted!

WAS

Looks really nice. I think the foam should collect like earlier versions, too.

And I think the wave scales should be a lot larger considering the inlet there. It's very chaotic like a boat was just dropped into the inlets straight.

Jo Kariboo

It seems very good to me. Perhaps more foam at the tops of the waves.

WAS

Is the water glass? Looks like subsurface scattering for the wave peaks?

Dune

It's the reflection. I only used a default shader (with metallic settings, translucency, a bit of luminosity and color input) for the whole sea, with just a small local area of real reflection (masked by sss) in front of the shipwreck. No transparency either, but softly masked ground colors fed into the color input of the default shader. Saves an enormous amount of render time (I'd say 75%). And it makes far off reflection less 'busy'. But of course lacks reflection of mountains, trees and clouds, though they are often only distracting in semi-wild water anyway. So I like this compromise for certain settings.

masonspappy

Wait - just noticed the penguin. Would they really live here?

DocCharly65

Quote from: masonspappy on November 06, 2020, 10:34:38 PMWait - just noticed the penguin. Would they really live here?
Now I see it too! Is it really a penguin?