Scales

Started by WAS, December 20, 2020, 08:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Would it be hard to have user-defined scales in later versions? I ask this cause I like to work with planets [a lot], but I am working in meters, which makes scales pretty hard to deal with in a fine-tuning perspective. If I could switch from meters, to kilometers, or even megameters, things could be managed easier at extreme scales. I imagine this could be set in project settings, since it would be a user-defined aspect. Like "This is a space scene, the scales should be KM/MM"

Dune

Nice idea. Wouldn't it work easier if you'd divide all sizes by say 1K, and work on smaller scales? Smaller planets, and procedurals. A lot of other software works on totally different scales anyway.

WAS

That's exactly why higher scales, on large scenes would help, just like that. Where 1000m would be 1km, or 1000km being 1Mm. It'd be similar to working in "smaller" scales having a higher range scale. For example in in megameters once you reach 1e+06 you're looking at 1,000,000 megameters, or 1e+12 meters. So you'd be able to mess with settings in a much easier fashion then being in scientific notation [starting] at 1e+04 in meters.

A division of scales probably would be easier, but I wonder if it would be more confusing, even for a returning author, than standard conventions.

Dune

Maybe we mean the same, but I would make a planet maybe 1000m diameter instead of 1+06. The only thing is then that you'd have to reduce your rocks/textures and craters accordingly.
Working in reduced size in 'interstellar space' makes 'preview travel' easier too.

WAS

Oh yeah, that's pretty much what I did with that primordial world, it's only 50,000m.

However, there is a issue with atmospheres at this scale and lighting around the shadow  terminator has a clipping/hard look.