suggestion - Sunlight independent control

Started by JimB, January 02, 2007, 07:00:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimB

Quote from: Sarge-David on February 03, 2007, 10:21:19 PM
something i been wondering about with the sun and such...how can you set up a moonlite scene?
im guessing something like placing the sun infront of another planet, lower its brightness and change the color to a white-blue
or have another light sorce infront of the moon to make it look like the sun reflected off of it....sounded like this is the best place to put it
Technically speaking that should work, provided your GI settings were high enough, I imagine. It's exactly what happens in real life with moonlight being a simple reflection of the Sun's light.
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

Njen

Quote from: Sarge-David on February 04, 2007, 11:51:17 AM
the only problem with that is i don't have or use photoshop
its alittle like cheating lol

show me how to do that only in terragen ;)

Gimp is free, and can be done just as easily in.

btw, nothing is cheating if it gets you what you want. Technically creating a landscape and rendering it as a picture is 'cheating' when you could go out to take a picture of it outside.

In the end it's all pixels on a screen and what ever gets you there fastest with the most desired result is the best way to do anything, don't fall prey to single program elitism when a combination of programs could help with your solution.

rcallicotte

Create a planet, kill the sun object (or save it for later - your choice), download a good picture of the moon from Google Images (free) and use this object to map (using the Image Shader) to your new planet that you have set in the distance on the horizon away from your first planet.  If you have kept the sun object, make it invisible, set it at the correct angle, and then set the strength accordingly.  Or you could increase the luminosity of that planet and/or just use source lights to light it and your surrounding scenery. 

These are ideas I've tried and used successfully.  Try some of these and see what you come up with.

The most difficult thing might be to find a moon JPG on Google that doesn't need a lot of trimming, but it is possible.

Quote from: Sarge-David on February 04, 2007, 11:51:17 AM
the only problem with that is i don't have or use photoshop
its alittle like cheating lol

show me how to do that only in terragen ;)
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?