Something to keep in mind

Started by Dune, December 31, 2020, 01:47:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

When I started this scene, I couldn't figure out why the shadow line wasn't in the place where the preview showed it. I wanted it on an exact spot, and had to hit&miss with the sun angle for a few times. Seems there's a discrepancy between preview and final render. Even when looking from the proposed shadow line area towards the sun I could see it was above the mountain. Mmmmmm. Then tried some settings in the render tab, and it proved to be the ray detail region. Has to be set to 360º optimum for the preview to show the exact shadow line. PT preview not showing any shadow, btw. I had forgotten, so here's a reminder.

Hannes

sboerner

Another one to file away for future reference. Thanks!

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

sjefen

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I think that if your using RTP, it will only calculate shadows of the mountains that have been rendered with the normal preview renderer. So you would have to set it to 360 so Terragen can first build the terrain everywhere before using the RTP.

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

priyanka99

some things to keep in mind before you make your travel plans 
checkout tripztour for travel tips

Dune

You may be right, but even in the default preview it seems setting it to 360º is needed to see what you're doing shadow-wise. I haven't checked why the PT preview didn't show any shadow.

bobbystahr

Quote from: sjefen on January 02, 2021, 10:12:28 AMMaybe I'm misunderstanding, but I think that if your using RTP, it will only calculate shadows of the mountains that have been rendered with the normal preview renderer. So you would have to set it to 360 so Terragen can first build the terrain everywhere before using the RTP.

- Terje
Thanks for the link, lots of great stuff there man...keep the faith!
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Quote from: priyanka99 on January 02, 2021, 03:00:46 PMsome things to keep in mind before you make your travel plans
checkout tripztour for travel tips
So...is this SPAM ?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Yes, ignore it. If you click, you might get a virus or whatever.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on January 04, 2021, 03:23:28 AMYes, ignore it. If you click, you might get a virus or whatever.
Indeed...was just curious if any one else saw this...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New