Iraq, Oversight, Exit Strategy...And Can We Not Have another Nam

Started by Cyber-Angel, December 02, 2007, 01:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyber-Angel

The United States in the post Saddam era has yet to provide to its people a clearly defined time table to extricate its military personnel and equipment from Iraq, the fact of the matter is, is that the war was started in violation of International Law:

Section 2 of the Declaration on the Inadmissibility of Intervention in the Domestic Affairs of States and the Protection of Their Independence and Sovereignty, 1965: States that "No state may use or encourage the use of economic, political or any other type of measures to coerce another state in order to obtain from it the subordination of the exercise of its sovereign rights or to secure from it advantages of any kind. Also, no state shall organize, assist, foment, finance, incite or tolerate subversive, terrorist or armed activities directed towards the violent overthrow of the regime of another state, or interfere in civil strife in another state".

It seems that there is no longer any reason to stay in the region under the flag of an occupying power the people of Iraq now need their right to self determination and their basic rights such as:

•   Food

•   Clean, Safe Drinking Water

•   Shelter

•   Education

•   Warmth etc

Once the international military force is gone, the government of Iraq could ask the United Nations for a peace keeping/ infrastructure rebuilding force to help get that nation on its own footing again; but with a clear mandate and time table of objectives that need to be meet.

Right now the Middle East is the most unstable its been in forty years and can only stabilize once the United States and its allies exit as an occupation force.

There is little I have seen on the News (I can get Fox News [International Version] and CNN via cable) in the way of oversight in the US or other countries in the way this whole thing is been handled it is now wonder then that there is the amount of civil unrest and other problems around the world that there is, it is time to put in place the cheeks and balances that are needed for the long term deployment of armed forces overseas (A.F.O.).

If this war (As it's called) goes on for much longer, and we get a new President of the United States and then another; how long can it be before we see the return of the Draft and we end up with another Vietnam?

These are just some views I have on this matter no harm intentioned.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel                         

Harvey Birdman

I'm not going to touch the main subject of your post. All I'll say is that you shouldn't let Fox News and CNN define your world view or your perception of the political dynamics in the US. Those are basically right-wing propoganda outlets (Fox in particular has very little credibility outside of hard-core right-wing circles). The views of most Americans regarding the legitimacy and wisdom of our little adventure in Iraq are not going to be presented on those outlets.

rcallicotte

The problem goes back to control.  Certain people want to control stuff that isn't theirs.  Hence, chaos.

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

NWsenior07

Well stated HB. Very well stated. THe thinkg that we must remember is that even if getting involved in Iraq was a mistake, we are there now and we must follow through on our actions and face the consequences even if they aren't real pretty. I tend to think that progress is being made that isn't necessarily well covered by news agencies simply because they don't portray the given agencies world view, biases, or at a more central level, those stories won't pay the bills.

Will

Yea its bad, I know the family of the first US soldier to die over there. Though I think the American people are doing a lot to help the situation even if its not supported by the administration or the major news networks. Ah, I don't really won't to go into this too much though I defiantly have my opinions but I don't want to offend others since there has to be some who do support to war here.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.