Display and installation problems - Terragen working space and dependencies

Started by N-drju, February 10, 2021, 05:06:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

Hello,

I've just launched my new machine and I'm having display problems in Terragen working space. The font used in TG is quite blurred. I know this is an issue with the Terragen itself, because all other fonts are displayed correctly, as you can see here:

blurred 1.png

I use iiyama ProLite, XU2792UHSU monitor with level 1 blue light filter enabled, though I think it's not relevant here. All other fonts, windows, pictures etc. are displayed correctly. TG is the only one that's ailing... ::)

Besides, I've been trying to use the 4.5.56 installer that I have downloaded from my previous computer but it just won't start. The message says that "An error occurred downloading the following resource: h***s://aka.ms/vs/16/release/(.........)".

This is weird, because I already have the dependencies the error refers to. And even if I had not I just would not download it, because I use an air-gapped system. The build I have installed last, works well - all the more reason to believe this is nonsense.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

EDIT: Broke the hyperlink - not relevant per se.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

Looks like Terragen is using anti-aliased font while your system is not, to me. Actually I didn't have the image maximized, so it just looked that way. This is totally windows scaling per-app. You need to do that let windows try to fix scaling thing. Here is a quick guide: https://www.guidingtech.com/guide-to-fixing-blurry-text-windows-10/

I've mentioned this before how the installer needs to check the system for any version that is compatible, not an exact version build, or not checking at all. It messed up my last windows install, well I did trying to get it to install. Honestly an offline-installer would be nice. I hate online-installers that can have all sorts of errors.

Matt

Terragen 4.5 is built with a much newer version of Visual C++ than Terragen 4.4, and it uses different dependencies from 4.4, so this is normal. If you want to use Terragen 4.5 please let the installer download the dependencies it needs, or - since you are on an airgapped system - you can download the dependencies yourself and install them before installing Terragen.

The Terragen 4.5 installer may want to install two sets of Visual C++ Redistributables: 2010 and 2015-2019. Make sure you get the x64 versions if you are downloading them yourself from Microsoft.

I see that you have some version of the 2015-2019 redistributables installed, but there are multiple possible reasons why this isn't sufficient. It may be an earlier version than the Terragen installer requires (14.24.28127), or it may have been installed in a way that the Terragen installer doesn't detect. There is more than one way for the installer to detect this, and unfortunately neither method works 100% on every computer. Therefore in some cases the installer will want to download dependencies even if you think it shouldn't need to.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

N-drju

Quote from: Matt on February 10, 2021, 04:41:41 PMI see that you have some version of the 2015-2019 redistributables installed, but there are multiple possible reasons why this isn't sufficient. It may be an earlier version than the Terragen installer requires (14.24.28127), or it may have been installed in a way that the Terragen installer doesn't detect. There is more than one way for the installer to detect this, and unfortunately neither method works 100% on every computer. Therefore in some cases the installer will want to download dependencies even if you think it shouldn't need to.

Ok, I'll download the newest version and then transfer it to my air-gapped machine. Hope it helps. If not, I'll be back. ;) Thanks for the info.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

N-drju

I am still unable to install, even after installing the latest redistributable pack. Setup is "unhappy" with the 2010 x64 redist.

What am I supposed to do now?

EDIT: Ok, I fixed it. Looks like the first 2010 x64 download link that turned up in Google led to an older build. I had to dig a little deeper to get the right one. Not sure why an older build is being displayed first in the search results. ::)