Frozen Lake

Started by Tangled-Universe, February 16, 2021, 12:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Last week here in The Netherlands we had the opportunity for ice skating outdoors, which naturally inspired me to try some ice with TG, why not?
Since I only wanted to focus on the ice I chose for a somewhat unbalanced composition (under normal circumstances) and a wide angle lens.
Also I didn't bother with the terrain, except that it needed some snow.

The ice shader consists of a glass shader for SSS and a separate reflective shader so that I could use GGX.

zaxxon

Nice shader work Martin, very believable. What are the shader differences between the two? Great work, but I won't be skating there anytime soon!  :)

RichTwo

Very convincing, especially Icev_3a!
They're all wasted!

sboerner

Beautiful work. I experimented a bit with SSS for the ice in my frozen canal scene, mixing in some voronoi patterns under the surface. Great potential there. The new default shader helps as well. You've taken it many steps further.

WAS

Very nice indeed. I wonder if it's possible to use another plane to simulate the bottom of an ice sheet. Hmm.

Dune

3a is very nice. SSS really helps getting the depth.

DocCharly65

I like both very much. 3b could perhaps look better if there were more differences and a less density of the white spots (I guess they're air pockets?)

mhaze

Spot on and beautifully observed.

WAS

I liked the look of this and tried giving it a try... no way on this CPU. Can't even sample quick enough to get going. Lol

Tangled-Universe

Yeah took about 8 hours for 3b and 18 for 3a.
Interestingly, the difference between 3a and 3b is only the addition of the speckles by using a merge shader just before the plane object and it rendered faster. Weird.
Interestingly#2, I could not add these speckles with a surface shader, even if the surface shader was masked by the (clamped) speckles themselves. The result was black ice with white speckles. Very weird.

Dune

1. Perhaps only half (of 3a, kind of) needed to be calculated, the other half a much simpler speckle.
2. If you add a surface shader with children after water shader water often turns black, I've had that as well. Best to use no children.

I wouldn't dare rendering SSS stuff like this on my old machine, but theoretically it should be possible to make nice air bubbles inside the ice by min and max altitude, a get altitude and a sinus function, multiplied by some vertically stretched 'air pocket areas'.

Gannaingh

I love 3a! I haven't explored SSS too much, but I think I'll have to give it a try!

Great work!

Hannes

Wow, this ice looks fantastic!! Especially the first one. Cool!!! ;)

pixelpusher636

The default terrain never looked so good. Very realistic!
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.