cloud under glass impossible?

Started by Dune, February 18, 2021, 05:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I jus wish you could turn off the shadows some way. It would work fine if not for streaks of shadows all over.

Dune

I'm still wondering why this works that way. What if one looks out a window in TG; are primary clouds turned into secondary and only then visible? Maybe overriding the shadow by other variables within the cloud node makes it appear sharp and bright enough (in case of airpockets). There must be a way to see sharp (primary) clouds behind glass....

WAS

I agree here definitely. This seems strange from just a head-on non-specialized use scenario.

Btw here is one of the examples I did. Viewed from above the long bubbles seem more stout due to refraction. If you view from the side of the cube you can see they are much more elongated in the volume. Also I cut off the tops pretty hard but still seem to be rounded pointed tops as if un-masked voronoi noise. I don't know.

Then of course, the shadow streaks everywhere.

Dune

I'll have a go at this again, and also see what you've done. Probably the same as I did.

Dune

It only works with secondary cloud on, and it's far from perfect. Very slow too, so I'll abandon this, and wait for real volumetrics!

WAS

Yeah it's a bit slow, slower then you'd expect. I can render the ice in 21 seconds, but with clouds it's 2:27. Oof.

WAS

Interestingly, I it seems the glass shader with double sides, doesn't work when it's horizontal???

I was going to attempt to fake volume with clouds and stuff and try just a glass shader for reflection and stuff, but.... humm. I tried cube, and a plane and gets the same result with a vanilla glass shader with only double sided checked... The plane takes up the whole viewport here, but get this strange blue sky reflection only near the camera in a circle. o.O

Turning off visible rays fixes the blue issue. Strange. Clouds aren't even enabled, just the atmosphere volume present and sun.

WAS

Double sided glass with rays disabled in plane. The clouds follow alt restrictions and appear more deep without the refraction. V2 cloud simulating water depth as that's all really the water depth effect really is (in appearance). Render time is ridiculous though. 10m compared to 2m

Dune

Yes, I got the same strange result with double-sided glass. I quit!

Kadri

Ulco this is not what you are after and you have thought about it probably but using real 3d bubble objects as a population could be another approach. Making them is easy. The look is another thing of course like the masked opacity sliced object.

Dune

Thanks Kadri. Yes, either of that might be the way. But it's not that I really need bubbles, I only wanted to see if it's possible within TG. Torturing out the impossible ::)