Terragen Normal Maps

Started by WAS, February 22, 2021, 02:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Overall I think the main issue is Terragen's coordinate system. It's non-standard euler with rest of DCC apps, like DX and OpenGL Normal output. So we would need to figure out how to rearrange R, G, B inputs, and flip/rotate according to TGs Euler.

If you inspect your normal maps by channel, you will notice B is what we would use for Y or G. At least with DirectX normal maps.

This would also likely mean the other maps would probably end up needing rotating (maybe also flipped) on Y with resulting final of flipped up normal map. Come to think of it looking at Ulcos ball example it seems clear the pinching type effect is cause that displacement should be applying in the opposite direction. So it's giving it a tin foil type look. 

@Matt I honestly think TG needs to change it's Euler coordinate system to align with major DCC, so that it's more appealing, especially with workflows, and future exporting/importing systems. Especially with Python API released. I feel it'd make things a lot easier for developers and teams to utilize TG for what they need if they weren't worrying about weird compatibilities with maps and importing stuff via scripting. I don't think such a change would impact end-users, or even be noticeable, besides maybe allowing more standard approaches to things going forward. That probably entails some major overhaul though, huh?

Matt

There is no "standard" coordinate system:

Can you tell which one Terragen 4 uses?
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

We'll implement normal maps this year. Object rendering was put on the backburner while we prioritized Terragen Sky Early Access, but normal mapping was (and still is) near the top of the Terragen 4 to-do list.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Hannes

Quote from: Matt on January 02, 2023, 08:11:25 PMWe'll implement normal maps this year. Object rendering was put on the backburner while we prioritized Terragen Sky Early Access, but normal mapping was (and still is) near the top of the Terragen 4 to-do list.
Great! That's good to hear. :)

sjefen

Quote from: Matt on January 02, 2023, 08:11:25 PMWe'll implement normal maps this year. Object rendering was put on the backburner while we prioritized Terragen Sky Early Access, but normal mapping was (and still is) near the top of the Terragen 4 to-do list.
This makes me really happy!  ;D

In the meantime, I'll start creating some awesome photogrammetry models for everybody here.

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Dune

Great! That finishes the experimentation...

sboerner

Great news! Looking forward to it!

WAS

Quote from: Matt on January 02, 2023, 08:05:50 PMThere is no "standard" coordinate system:

Can you tell which one Terragen 4 uses?

Yeah, sorta right, except all these respect each other, and handle each others Euler systems with ease. It's like when I was doing the FBX importer. No one could help, and was pointing out that Terragen is using a weird system. On Autodesk, Three.JS, and on Stack Overflow. Everyone had issues with TGs Euler and gave up. Lol So many unanswered questions I had to get that system working.

I think I even asked you, and you couldn't explain how to flip the Blender standard Euler to TG. And using TGs Euler selected in Blender, isn't respected in TG like it's not actually that Euler.