Terragen Normal Maps

Started by WAS, February 22, 2021, 02:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Does terragen read Normal Maps in Y+ or Y-?

Matt

Terragen 4.5 doesn't read normal maps. That's on the 2021 roadmap.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

So only bump? But similarly, bump can be read positive or negative? I've been noticing a lot of directx exported stuff have inverted normal maps, and weirdly vertically flipped textures which don't align with object UV in TG (gotta flip horizontally) so just trying to figure out tbe quirks with these unreal/unity assets.

WAS

Also most PBR generators are outputting normal maps, not bump maps and they appear to work. They aren't read properly?

Dune

TG probably reads the hues as greyscale and makes higher values into bump.

Hannes

Quote from: Matt on February 23, 2021, 01:37:26 AMTerragen 4.5 doesn't read normal maps. That's on the 2021 roadmap.
Can't wait!!!!! :D

sboerner

QuoteTerragen 4.5 doesn't read normal maps. That's on the 2021 roadmap.

Terrific news!

WAS

Quote from: Dune on February 24, 2021, 02:12:59 AMTG probably reads the hues as greyscale and makes higher values into bump.
Must be. I don't even have software that outputs bumps. Everything I use is Normal Maps. Honestly haven't seen a bump fo years except few days ago ripping some Unreal assets. Heck even CrazyBump doesn't even export bump maps, and exports normal maps. Good thing Materialize reads Normal as 3D and then can create a heightmap from it. Kinda like it's AO feature you can see it firing shadows from 360 degrees to "formulate" a heightmap.

Dune

I use Pixplant, but to be honest, a bumpmap is some kind of derivative of the color map, and not really representing real bumps. Just recoloring and fading the whites and blacks. Some areas clearly being higher than others but having a darker hue, will end up having a low bump. Like in birch bark.
Handwork is often needed.

Suwa_Foughten_Field

Okay, but is compatibility planned in the future? I think I already have got the basics of Terragen covered, and now, I'm thinking of how it could become even better....

sjefen

Sorry to dig this thread up again, but are there any news on when we can expect support for normal maps? I have to rebuild my library and most of my assets are automatically loaded with normal maps so it's very time consuming to manually go in and change all of them to bump map.

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Hannes

Oh yes!!!! Normal map support would be fantastic!! Converting them into bump maps is nothing but a very inaccurate compromise. If TG would read normal maps correctly it would be a very big improvement in displaying models.
Actually I think it's a must have nowadays, if TG tries to compete with other apps. 

zaxxon

I agree, normal map inclusion would be great!

WAS

It's almost 2023 now, hopefully that can sneak in.

sboerner

Patiently waiting here as well. It would make the ZBrush -> Terragen pipeline oh so much better.