NASA\USGS "Original TIF" versions of heightmaps

Started by WAS, February 24, 2021, 03:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

I like OSGeo4W which includes QGIS, and some other stuff.  Made it a bit easier getting everything installed.

Quote from: undefinedOSGeo4W is a binary distribution of a broad set of open source geospatial software for Windows environments (Windows 10 down to XP). OSGeo4W includes QGIS, GDAL/OGR, GRASS as well as many other packages (over 150).

https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/

WAS

Quote from: KadriMy imported cropped area render is bad. Someone who knows what he is doing can do much better then this.

I think its cause that is a shaded relief from true color, so it is including shadows. I think they are created using heightmaps, but then they mix with a texture so you can see the details in the relief. It may be possible to level the shadows out to a degree and blur a bit, but you'd loose close up details. Hmm.

Kadri

Quote from: WAS on March 01, 2021, 03:26:52 PM
Quote from: KadriMy imported cropped area render is bad. Someone who knows what he is doing can do much better then this.

I think its cause that is a shaded relief from true color, so it is including shadows. I think they are created using heightmaps, but then they mix with a texture so you can see the details in the relief. It may be possible to level the shadows out to a degree and blur a bit, but you'd loose close up details. Hmm.
Yes i looked a little closer and real heigfields are different of course.
That tif isn't suited for a direct render as you said.

WAS

Weirdly when I tried exporting the 1.8 GB elevation file from QGIS, it just wants to export a tiny image. I give up for now. Lol

Kadri

I think i used the "Map canvas extend" then locked the output width and  height and then used something over 2000 for resolution.
But this software needs more attention for sure to get what you want :)

I doubt that i will have a use more then these tests as i am not into heigthfields.
The total time i tried these days is probably more then i tried in the last 20 years :)

KlausK

Thanks @Kadri and @Sudden Planet.
Then I`ll try QGIS and OSGeo4W before I delete the files.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)