Jezero Crater Ortho

Started by WAS, February 25, 2021, 04:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

A little scene I did with the 4k jezero crater otrho and the DTM sample as the raw tif loads kinda screwy in TG. I plan on redoing it hopefully with better height data. This sample was 8bit and rather small so it had to be transformed into 32bit, and upscaled. I used box-blur to remove jpeg artifacting. Little ripply but I like it still.

I had to process the colour as it contained refraction from the atmosphere and camera lens in orbit (smooth chromatic abberation like colour smudging), then upscaled to 8k and generated PBR textures. I also did erode the terrain, but only used the maps to accent the colour maps, as the erosion made it look like water has been flowing everywhere, rather than just needing the flows for staining.

For a barely 2k 8bit heightmap, I think the upscaling and restoration isn't too bad.

Dune

Looks pretty good indeed. With some extra shaders even soft heights can be made 'detailed'.  I saw some of these tifs in the link I posted were over 1 gig, so I didn't download any of it.

WAS

Yeah ridiculously large. My poor LTE internet.

Dune

I did try the big one, but couldn't get it to work either. Tried manipulating it in PS (convert to 16-bit and adjust exposure, as 16bit tif often works better in TG), but it seems pretty fickle to get it right. I abandoned.

DocCharly65

That looks quite good!

I tried something similar with a 630MB NASA map of moon height data and run into the same problem. I think I solved it somehow with one of those antique heightmap tools around TG 0.87. Don't remember which.

WAS

TG can load the large heightmap, but unfortunately its in slices, and for some reason thr boundaries scalars seem to be registered waaay above the actual terrain. Kadri linked me to some tool which I should be able export from. Just haven't gotten around to trying it.

Kadri

I got it to work like this with putting more height and restricting with the simple shape shader.
Maybe it is about the radius difference of Mars and Earth. But yeah the boundaries of the map do look problematic.
But then this workflow is not something i know much about.
This is only with the original map and some displacement in the heighfield node.

WAS

Nice. I suppose I could crop to the area, but aligning textures would then just be a chore. That's why I wanted to manipulate a TIF cause I could align it with the textures and output exactly 1:1.

mhaze