New Roman again

Started by Dune, February 28, 2021, 01:53:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I actually often wonder why I still post here, because it's extremely quiet, but I guess it's my dedication to TG and this forum. But on the other hand, why not; I'm here to check anyway.
So I made some new Romans, PT render took 3 hours with blur and a Hannes Sphere. I will also compare render time and quality with SR, and with a soft sun.

WAS

Very nice. The PT looks great. At a distance with some clutter and stuff it would be hard to tell this gathering is a render I believe.

Hannes

Fantastic characters. The clothes look amazing!!! And I like the lighting. ;)

Yes, it's quiet here. And I have to say that I have a serious lack of inspiration at the moment. No ideas at all... :(

mhaze

Great romans! excellent figures and dress. I'm lacking inspiration at the moment too.

DocCharly65

I think these are the best romans you created so far Ulco! Natural looking dress and skin - great!

Dune

One thing I learned from an expert recently (after he saw this), is that Roman soldiers rarely wore trousers. So these two on the right are saying; "Well Romeo, these trousers can't be, man!".
And they had a 'gladius' as sword, with wood handles. This metal one I took from a Medieval guy I made, so I had to replace that too.

I like this light from a sphere very much, too bad it takes much longer than a sun, and is grainier. Too much to calculate perhaps? I wonder if we could have this effect without these drawbacks. A lit plane perhaps...

sboerner

Excellent work on the clothing and lighting. Is the floor procedural or a texture? Agree that the image does have a real photographic quality.

I'm in between scenes (stalled on one, beginning another) and have been spending my time lately in Blender, building assets. And have been distracted by life in general. But I will have a few things to post soon. Don't stop posting, it will get seriously quiet around here. ???

Dune

Thanks Steve. Floor is an image map, with some procedural dirt. This was actually a very quick and basic setup, just to add some background and ground to the characters that I wanted to see rendered, but it turned out rather nice. I made a heap of leaves now, and a broom (in Speedtree) to get more stuff in and make it a real render ;)
I did change the lighting as the sphere made it too grainy and slow.

Curious what you'll be posting next! Blender is another app that awaits my attention, but I'm still too intimidated :P

EDIT: posted the latest, but the boss' sandals have sunk into stone floor, mmm. Seems like the soldier is saying; "How do I look, oh centurion?"

Dune

Another guy.

WAS

I like the lighting on the robed guy in the second one a lot, and the ground PF accents are much nicer.

Also like. Feeln like he may not be far removed from the ghettos of 17th century London with those chops.

KlausK

Your dresses got very good, you really seem to have found a a well build pipeline.
It is Lightwave, ZBrush, Speedtree, Marvelous Designer for the most part, isn`t it ?

Btw., I am really enjoying all the work you and others post here - even though I do not comment very often.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune

Thanks guys. Yes, those apps, and DAZ as a base for the characters.

DocCharly65

In the sunlight the romans even look better. I am absolutely delighted with the design of the patrician on the right in his toga. With his facial expressions, he convincingly represents Roman decadence as we know it from Asterix :)