Feature Request: new Vortex warp shader feature

Started by Valri, March 13, 2021, 02:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valri

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z007ry45fij683x/gfjhgj.png?dl=0
above is a mock-up of what I'd purpose to be a "direction function" within the Vortex warp shader, it would allow you to guide the direction using an input like say an image file or a simple shape shader, or even something as complex as a Power fractal shader, or just any input in general, this was prompted by me wanting to create global cloud (concentric banded circles to be more technical) patterns as seen on Earth like this which is very similar to how global cloud patterns form
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1phew1cst13koe0/e348e4d8f136d607126bd95eda2716d9.jpg?dl=0

granted this is just one use case for this "direction function" I am proposing, it can be used for many other things, any feedback on this would be helpful!
Put that in your pipeline and smoke it!

Dune

Nice idea. You can post simple images here in your post, btw.

Valri

And to clarify the "direction function" would use greyscale colors derived from an input to guide the direction, for example, the highest values being white would create a "positive direction" whereas the lowest values being black would create a "negative value" I hope this helps convey what I am trying to envision. Also, it would only guide X, Y, or Z independently, the "direction function" would only apply for the direction, not the axizes.

WAS

I like this idea. I often have to use surface layers and masking.

Imo scalar functions or vector functions should be used wherever possible. Like min/max of population scales, lean amplitude, vectors for all 3 inputs of transform shader, etc etc.

Valri

also, has the devs ever put a feature into Terragen that someone request? Just asking because I want to know if my idea has anything beyond a snowball chance in hell lol

WAS

Maybe more referenced? Beyond actual improvements and bug fixes that should be there anyway i am not sure. For example I had pointed out fuzzy zones in surface layers didn't produce smooth colour or displacement (there would be a seam noticeable in smoother displacement but not always noticeable with rougher stuff). That has been fixed with better colour continuity and displacement checkboxes in surface layers and power fractals (they suffered same issue at low octaves). Though other shaders need this too imo like the Crater Shader, and Strata Shader (although I'm not sure is even possible there) but with crater shader it must be as I can create  similar shader procedurally (planet wide) or locally that has smooth skirts.

Valri

Not sure what you mean by referenced, but I will remain hopeful!

WAS

Quote from: Valri on March 25, 2021, 12:02:44 AMNot sure what you mean by referenced, but I will remain hopeful!

There is [private] feature request tracker, that ideas are added too, or were added too. Oshyan used to take care of that. Just a guess but when they brainstorm new features, or what to do next they probably take a look through there as part of their process.

Dune

Years back, world color variation for populations was an important thing, for example, and there are lots of features from the project tracker that have been implemented. But Matt, c.s. will see these posts, and if it fits in the plan, is feasible and important enough, will no doubt add it to the list.