Pre-Pass Missing Geometry

Started by WAS, March 16, 2021, 02:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I've been noticing that sometimes with things like lateral displacement, and tall spires/fake stones that in the prepass, part of the geometry is missing, and in the final render the part that was missing always has really janky dispalcement or even bad lighting/holes.

I think this is related to the pre-pass not even seeing these areas. Is there a way to remedy this?

Kadri

Could be other settings too but i would look at the planet "displacement tolerance" first.

WAS

So a issue with upping displacement tolerance. You fix foreground spires, at the cost of background spires in the distance faaar exceeding their displacement tolerance and blasting off into space...

Kadri

Don't know if this changes everything so much. In my scenes only the parts who got cropped rendered good after that and nothing much changed. Render time increases so there is much higher detail in the scene maybe.

Maybe the parts you say that is changing was actually not rendered correctly too before...don't know.
But if it is as you say you could change the other parts according your vision with other ways as you know.

WAS

Hmm. This is a issue I've seen in general, background peaks tend to be taller than they should be and this is accentuating that effect. It is a custom PF making the spires with high noise variation and spike limit above 2.

Kadri

I don't like workarounds but every software does have this in this or that degree.
Instead of bugs and limitations you can't get over, they are at least...eh workable :(

WAS

I think this is more a issue with adaptive terrain sampling and terrain getting simplistic at a distance and other settings loosing their accuracy like displacement. But even masking distant terrain to 0.125 didnt help the peak issues.