I would buy-upgrade Terragen immediately if...

Started by Kadri, March 26, 2021, 07:08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

I would buy-upgrade Terragen immediately if:

Rendering was greatly (like %50 or more) faster (with GPU, hybrid or whatever means).

Or:
Preview was greatly faster (like %100 or more) and more accurate (with GPU, hybrid or whatever means).

Secondary reasons:

There was a plant-bio system for populating.

There are many more things i wish but these came directly to my mind.

If you have some thoughts or different views, priorities please don't hesitate to add below.

Nala1977

i agree 800%, the thing it frustrates me the most in this software is the slow "preview" when you work, rendering/previewing things is so slow and old that it is very annoying to work with, making changes to geometry, shaders, fake stones, scales, small numbers input values, always requires a full render to see the result.

i dont know the future development but i think there should be some heavy work on making it way more faster.

digitalguru

I must admit it's been a disappointing year so far in terms of new features in Terragen, in fact, I've canceled my subscription. The updates so far haven't really justified the expense of it for me.

I think my preference for what I'd like to see may differ from many TG users - I'd like to see more on interoperability between Terragen and other programs - Alembic import for animated geo from other DCCs, Deep output for instance, though OCIO is a great addition and brings Terragen in line with other applications.

I may be wrong, but I think (and hope) that development may be more focused on Terragen 5, and we'll see more in the way of major features when that arrives.

I agree with Kadri's suggestion that a faster preview (GPU accelerated) would be very welcome, though I also think the whole interface is due for an overhaul and you would potentially not see that till V5.

For my money, any one of these features would see me renew my subscription immediately:

Alembic import for animated geo (or maybe USD if that become more universal)
Deep Exr output
Accelerated or even real-time previews
Python scripting

Dune

Speed of the preview is good enough for me, and I work on a very slow GPU. But render speed in PT is my main 'worry'.

Nala1977

this is the roadmap for 2021

-Terragen for VFX video tutorial series
-A large and growing library of high quality plant models. This will be massive!
-Rendering of normal maps and two-sided materials (think of leaf textures)
-VDB export on Windows and Mac (currently only on Linux)
-Simpler workflow for exporting terrain and textures
-GPU-accelerated tools in beta

Kadri

Quote from: Dune on March 26, 2021, 11:11:10 AMSpeed of the preview is good enough for me, and I work on a very slow GPU. But render speed in PT is my main 'worry'.
Ulco download Ndunes (free for now i think) and play with it.
Terragen looks suddenly (in certain aspects only of course) like a software from 20 years ago.
https://www.ndunes.com/

WAS

Still wish I wasn't forgotten about for the Alpha for this. My request email with returned NDA got buried so they only found it when they were doing the Beta release.

Dune

Looks like it's an online tool, the exe downloaded isn't very big. Probably no good on this ancient online machine of mine (32-bit). But the renders look very good.

Kadri

No it is not online.
Actually the render isn't what i liked. The render engine looks more game-ish.
It was more the way you can work and see the scene and it's speed by doing it.
It is new and needs more work but you work kinda realtime...depending on your hardware too of course.

Nala1977

Quote from: Kadri on March 27, 2021, 04:24:15 AMNo it is not online.
It is new and needs more work but you work kinda realtime...depending on your hardware too of course.

you should take a look at worldcreator, they are going to implement a lateral displacement in real time with version 3 which is due to come out very soon, and the price is extremely affordable. https://www.world-creator.com/

its insanely fast and every change you make its real time.

Dune

I see now, it's downloaded so fast I thought it was an online installer. Let's check it out...

Yes, World-Creator is another interesting option. But as it's 100% GPU based, I won't be able to run it very well atm. with my rather slow card. But I'll keep it in mind for sure.

Kadri

Quote from: Nala1977 on March 27, 2021, 05:51:41 AM
Quote from: Kadri on March 27, 2021, 04:24:15 AMNo it is not online.

you should take a look at worldcreator, they are going to implement a lateral displacement in real time with version 3 which is due to come out very soon, and the price is extremely affordable. https://www.world-creator.com/

its insanely fast and every change you make its real time.
Yes looks good.
It does have the advantage (speed wise) of not being on planetary scale.

Suwa_Foughten_Field

It's true that a faster preview tool would be great, as it's a bit slow now, even with a relatively powerful computer.

yl

Undoubetly proxy function, like UE5, and also assemble several proxies as object marker of population, it weill greatly help terragen in creating realistic artificial scene, I am waiting for this function and I will immediately buy professional licence if it developed.

digitalguru