Photogrammetry

Started by Kadri, April 01, 2021, 09:06:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

Quote from: WAS on April 03, 2021, 01:23:18 PMI still see plenty of shadows in his raw, and this is what tells programs to create geometry based on lighting depth. Its very similar to creating heightmaps etc from image. If the program can't see geometry, it can only work off the colors of the textures. You want light from POV though, like a ring light, however fo have a correct angle for lighting for depth. Same deal for bitmap approximations of textures or scans of textures. Additionally if you have stuff like distort by normal, this creates illusions of weird shadows for luminosity because its warping textures by surface normal.

You can go ahead and render a simple rock sphere on black BG with luminosity for texture, it will appear 2D and flat. So all the programs could do is built geometry based on the border shapes of the object, and some displacement of what it can see of textures which would just be the textures, no surface depth.
Curious Jordan. I will try and see how such a rock would look. I don't know how it will look.

WAS

Here is a rock with luminosity. Geometry is pretty lost because of now shadows, but some is there becasue of multiplied voronoi by colour, which also produces the displacement. So there is some depth provided by that, but the rest is created by distort by normal creating the illusion of shadows to the left, which would trick a photogrammetry program I think in luminosity mode, and maybe with shadows too.

This took 11 minutes to render with lighting, or 1 minute with luminosity, so it may be worth trying anyway. May do it since it'll take awhile to get the 11 minute ones I need.

WAS

PS forgot to turn of GISD so some darkness there. Ooops. But maybe that would help? Could even use larger settings for more depth of the obj?

Kadri

I terminated my 3Dcoat test as the bar was barely moving. I waited for half a day.
At least it didn't crashed this time earlier.
I used a 1.1 Gb obj file for this. The files i used some years ago were smaller...around 500 Mb or so.

I forgot to disable GI too in my tests.

WAS

Here is just some random PF applied that doesn't have any multiplication by the scalars producing dispalcement. Here is a good exmaple where there is no info to provide geometry.

The only place depth is noticeable is around the terminator, where displacement is overlaying other disp.

Kadri

Have you enabled shadows , atmo and disabled luminosity after you imported the obj ?

WAS

It's a TG object, that I would be doing a turntable of to create an object for.

I'm just demonstrating that I don't know if luminosity would work. And you should try to use a solid background for photogrammetry where possible. If any hues of the atmosphere match the rock in greyscale to the software, it will be included in geometry.

Applying the displacement as a scalar to the texture helps a little bit. I turned on GISD again, but it doesn't seem to make much difference on luminosity, since it's glowing.

WAS

So here is with colour, and sun again, but this time I turned off specular highlights in the sun, which immediately produced a softer appearance in lighting in 3D preview. That alone is causing the render to go a loooot faster. Instead of 11 minutes this one took 2:38.

Kadri

I see.

I am trying to make the camera motion in Lightwave. This is kind of those motions what i don't like.
Close to exporting now. Then i will try exporting from Terragen. If i can get there of course :)

Kadri

Jordan can you upload that object right here for me to test.
The scene is ready to render.
just laziness :P

Kadri

Here is the FBX file by the way.
Just put your object  at "O,5,0" and change the camera FOV to a wider range.
This is a very crude move i just throw it together very fast.

WAS

Here is the rock turntable test I been doing. I am waiting until night to render it. I'd check to make sure the shaders are actually rotating correctly too, I think they are but it's hard to tell through 3D preview.

Thanks for the camera rig!

Kadri

I think of doing this with another kind of object and displacement maybe...To see the displacement better.
But i will try yours first.
2 people doing this is better.

WAS

I wanted to do a spire with my geonosis displacement but forgot as I crashed bringing it into a mew project and lowering scales and just did a rock to test

PabloMack

Quote from: WAS on April 01, 2021, 05:30:00 PMRotating the objects themselves may be easier than a camera on rail.
I made my own turn-table for this purpose. I bought a circular bearing (for only about $15 on Amazon) that is rated for 1000 lbs and built it into a Lazy Susan. I marked off the angles to make it easier to shoot a full 360 series using the Agisoft photogrammetry software. You can see a photo of the turn table below:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045DV04I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TurnTable.jpg