not understanding the logic of lateral displacement

Started by Nala1977, April 09, 2021, 06:13:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nala1977

Hey guys im a bit confused on how Terragen interprets the input displacement

i have a simple scene, what i want is to add horizontal stripes to the displaced simple shape masked area.

here is a screnshot.
i have set the power fractal displacement to lateral only, but on the render i get the geometry displaced by vornoi ridged dots, instead of stripes, even if in the power fractal node the noise stretch is set to 1000 on X axis and in the preview they look like stripes.

Its so damn confusing.

Roberts

I understand your frustration, I've been there soooo many times myself.

But, in this case maybe you can try also stretching the noise along the Z-axis? Maybe that will help?

I'm assuming you want to have very stretched horisontal stripes. In your current setup the noise is only stretched on the X-axis, so it's only one axis that is actually stretched.

Hope that can help!

Regards

Robert

Ps not at the computer right now, so cannot check your tgd. Ds

Dune

WAS

To clarify, to stretch on X would mean just lines going along X, to have the Strata like effect you want to stretch on X and Z at the same time to stretch the slices of noise while retaining Y's dimensions.

Nala1977

so uhm...im trying without success to rotate this pattern from being vertical to horizontal. I am afraid i lack the math for it, tryin to use the transofrm input shader it basically project the "dots" effect instead of the stripes effect.

anyone has any idea how to get this effect in an horizontal way? i've rotated the render in photoshop just to show the effect i want to achieve.
Also if anyone find this pattern useful i'll attach the tgd here

thanks for the help

Roberts

Perhaps instead of trying to rotate it you could try to stretch it horizontally? (Or squash it vertically, it should give a similar result but may require adjustment to the overall scale of the pattern).  I'm not at the computer today either, so cannot try it myself.

Robert

WAS

You'd want to rotate on X 90 or Z 90, but similar to your last problem will only be on X or Z axis.