GPU; is this any good?

Started by Dune, April 10, 2021, 09:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Thanks Andrzej. Complicating factor is that some folks also advised against a second-hand GPU (which these 2 are). And in (near :P ) future I'd also like to try apps like NDunes, for fast GPU rendered animations, and I'd probably need a better GPU than that Asus for instance.
Aside note: it would be sooooo cool if Matt could write that sort of fast GPU rendering into TG......

Nala1977

Quote from: Dune on April 15, 2021, 02:08:47 AMThanks Andrzej. Complicating factor is that some folks also advised against a second-hand GPU (which these 2 are). And in (near :P ) future I'd also like to try apps like NDunes, for fast GPU rendered animations, and I'd probably need a better GPU than that Asus for instance.
Aside note: it would be sooooo cool if Matt could write that sort of fast GPU rendering into TG......
honestly i dont have high hopes for terragen terrain generation in gpu at all, as far as i remember Matt  created a vote poll where people would say which feature they would want GPU for, and almost everyone wanted it for the clouds atmo.

Terragen development is very slow, to make gpu on terrain creation i think they need to rewrite the whole code.

WAS

Quote from: Nala1977 on April 15, 2021, 03:36:43 AMand almost everyone wanted it for the clouds atmo.

Lots of people just use TG for HDRI's for other apps. For clean skies that don't need repair from stuff like smog, chemtrails, etc.

archonforest

The 1060 is newer and faster so I would go for that if you need it right now. 300 euros for the other card?? What a joke! It worth max a 100.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on April 15, 2021, 02:08:47 AMThanks Andrzej. Complicating factor is that some folks also advised against a second-hand GPU (which these 2 are). And in (near :P ) future I'd also like to try apps like NDunes, for fast GPU rendered animations, and I'd probably need a better GPU than that Asus for instance.

I think it depends how the GPU was originally used, prior to landing on the sale page.

If for gaming, that's acceptable. If for rendering or cryptocurrency mining, it's probably a bit worn off. But I guess you have no veritable way to investigate it.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

Yeah, some people advice against (probably for that reason; you never know if it's been abused), others say they're good anyway. Pffff.

Anyway; another choice I'm considering, as waiting for 2022/23 is no option.

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6G (€589)

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 OC 6G (€709)

For €100 more I'd probably prefer the latter, as I believe it also does RayTracing (whether or not that's any use in TG (or NDunes)). That would probably keep me rolling for another 5-10 years, I suppose.

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on April 19, 2021, 03:35:13 AMThat would probably keep me rolling for another 5-10 years, I suppose.

I'm pretty certain about that!

Both good cards. If you remember, I also aimed at GTX 1660, but the stock was depleted. This was my builder's initial suggestion as well.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

archonforest

My last 2 cards were 2nd hand and both are perfect. If you find a nice person who simply used it for gaming without too much overclock then it can be okay. Just before the pandemic I bought a 2nd hand gtx 1080 and it was in perfect condition. The owner cleaned it regularly...etc.

Otherwise the 2060 is a pretty solid performing card. The price.....ehhh... :-X

Dune

Well, I almost decided to get the 2060 (for that awful price indeed), but it raises another problem. It only has hdmi and usb-3 ports, and I have an Aten kvm switch to use 2 machines on one monitor, but that's only vga, and 2x usb for Wacom and keyboard. It's getting complicated, more research to do before emptying my wallet....

WAS

I got a HDMi switchbox with USB switch gor keyboard mouth for only lime 30 bucks on Amazon. I don't think they are too ridiculously expensive anymore. Could get a HDMI yo VGA for other PC

Dune

Thanks. I've just looked into those, and it seems like there's a bit of quality issues sometimes. Some people complain of having their signal vanish after a few days, but I'll do some more research.

archonforest

Just get an hdmi to vga adapter. It is very cheap.

Dune