Altitude Constraints

Started by pixelpusher636, April 28, 2021, 10:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pixelpusher636

Folks I know this is 100% user error but I want to finally be able to put this issue to bed.

I am able to define a surface layers parameters without incident sometimes while other times the opposite effect happens. The attached example file is just that type of opposite effect.

I use maximum altitude I get coverage where I'm trying to avoid. I use minimum and I get coverage on the higher elevations. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong or why this happens sporadically? <insert eye roll and advice> 😀

I appreciate your help in advance.
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.

Nala1977

if you mouse over the purple test color in your preview window and check right under the previe window where it says Y Z slope, you notice that the Y is roughly 2.61m so its correct, try always to check the altitude with ur mouse pointer, there is nothing wrong in your example.

to fix it, instead of using "limit maximum altitude" use "llimit minimum altitude" and set it to 3.2, provided you want that area exluded by the shader, you can use both in combination to select a particular "stripe" or zone like ulco said

Dune

It depends on how you set your fuzzy zone. Too large with altitudes close together and you won't see anything. Check this out, and experiment a bit with altitudes and fuzzy zones.

pixelpusher636

Ahh! This makes perfect sense fellow Terragen users and helpful friends. By sense of scale can be completely off especially when nothing is in the scene yet to help visualize it. This also explains why sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. 

In this case I just copied the water level as my low point and fiddled away (incorrectly fiddled) from there. Thanks again @Nala1977 and @Dune !
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.